Menu

Narrating from SOTW

Goldilocks

We have always done narrations from SOTW and my ds has done well except for including too many details. I didn't correct him at age 7 and 8. Now he is 9 (almost 10) and we are in Volume 3. He cries tears of frustration almost every time I ask him to narrate from a selection. He can answer the review questions from the activity guide, but then has trouble organizing his thoughts and getting started. How can I help him?

We have always done narrations from SOTW and my ds has done well except for including too many details. I didn't correct him at age 7 and 8. Now he is 9 (almost 10) and we are in Volume 3. He cries tears of frustration almost every time I ask him to narrate from a selection. He can answer the review questions from the activity guide, but then has trouble organizing his thoughts and getting started. How can I help him?

Try doing narrations in smaller chunks. Do a few paragraphs, then have him narrate, then continue like that. See if that helps!

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried breaking up the sections into two or more pieces and asking for narrations after reading those. Sometimes it is hard to remember to stop reading!

It seems like the passages are lengthy and full of information. Can most 3rd graders narrate from SOTW 3?