Menu

Chalk Dust - spiral or mastery?

One of my dc needs a mastery program for math, instead of spiral. I want a program with video instruction to help both of us understand the material in an algebra course. Video Text is supposed to be a mastery program. What about Chalk Dust?

and since I barely passed Algebra I in high school, I needed all the help I could get.

However, 6 years of Singapore Math and a few rounds of Keys to Fractions has well-prepared me (and my student) for Dr. Mosely's lectures and Larson's Combined Text.

I would say that Dr. Mosely's Lectures with the problems from the Larson text are a mastery program. At the end of each section I feel like we really know that material.

Here's what we do:

Day 1: Watch the DVD lecture and do all the problems on the video along with Dr. Mosley.

Day 2: Review Example Problems in current section and then student does all of the "Review Problems (12 or so) at the end of the section. These problems review previously taught material.

Days 3-4: Student does every 4th problem in the "Developing Skills" section (that follows the Review Problems). This amounts to approx. 30 problems. Some of them complex word problems. I allow 2 days for this assignment; dividing it in half so I can see any pattern in mistakes and go over the material again if needed. The Larson text has great examples so I rarely have to go back to the dvd.

Day 5: I take some odd problems (remember we did only every 4th problem) and make up a 10-12 problem quiz from the "Developing Skills" section. My child has to get 80% or better before we move on to the next section.

We do one section per week. We have started half-way through 7th grade, so I think we will finish it up in 8th.

hth

K

Thanks! Your explanation of how you use it is very helpful!

You wrote that you use the cheap version. Do you mean that you pieced it together using the ISBN numbers, or is there some other version? Thanks for info!

Thanks! Your explanation of how you use it is very helpful!

You wrote that you use the cheap version. Do you mean that you pieced it together using the ISBN numbers, or is there some other version? Thanks for info!

Yes, I am referring to pieced together text/solutions manual/dvds. We are using this text:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618388362/ref=oss_product

this solutions manual:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618388389/ref=oss_product

these dvd's:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0618753966/ref=oss_product

BTW, I took an exacto knife to the text book and separated the answers from the back of the book. It was too tempting for my 13 year old.