Menu

Apologia Astronomy Labs

Nestof3

Are they worthwhile? Are they busy-work? Do they really teach a concept that they could not get any other way?

Thanks!

O.K....I'm coming from a very different perspective. I'm an amateur astronomer (very amateur, lol!) whose youngest kid is finishing up his sophomore year. I finished reading Apologia Astronomy just a few weeks ago. I loved it, but it is only for the folks who don't mind Apologia's world view in-your-face.

I have not done the labs. I read most of them. For some kids they would be busy work, but when I did elementary science, I used the labs as a way to review our science book. I would have read this book to my kids--curled up on the couch, reading straight through it over a few days in the summer. Then I'd have gotten all the equipment together for the labs I wanted to do, and then we'd have a day or two or three when we simply did them all on the same day. We'd review the chapters and what we had learned by doing those labs and by asking the questions (you know--those questions in each chapter) to see how much they had retained. The rest of the year we would get books from the library on astronomy or star lore or mythology or physics and read them for fun to solidify what we had studied--and we'd be sure to go outside and look at the night sky. A planisphere, a red light (so you don't lose your night vision), a pair of binoculars, a few nights under meteor showers, a trip to an astronomy club to see through a telescope...and we'd call it a year.

Just me...

Jean

I have not done the labs. I read most of them. For some kids they would be busy work, but when I did elementary science, I used the labs as a way to review our science book. I would have read this book to my kids--curled up on the couch, reading straight through it over a few days in the summer. Then I'd have gotten all the equipment together for the labs I wanted to do, and then we'd have a day or two or three when we simply did them all on the same day. We'd review the chapters and what we had learned by doing those labs and by asking the questions (you know--those questions in each chapter) to see how much they had retained. The rest of the year we would get books from the library on astronomy or star lore or mythology or physics and read them for fun to solidify what we had studied--and we'd be sure to go outside and look at the night sky. A planisphere, a red light (so you don't lose your night vision), a pair of binoculars, a few nights under meteor showers, a trip to an astronomy club to see through a telescope...and we'd call it a year.

:001_smile: I love this idea. Food for thought here . . . I'm going to have to find out what a planisphere is :D.

We did some and we skipped others. If you just look ahead you can decide what is worthwhile and what is busywork. You have to melt the chocolate with a maginifying glass though. That one does a lot to demonstrate what they are learning and it was so much fun!

:001_smile: I love this idea. Food for thought here . . . I'm going to have to find out what a planisphere is :D.

Also known as a Star Wheel. This is mine:

http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=124&kw=planisphere&st=2

You can make your own here:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/letsgo/familyfun/Make_a_Star_Wheel.html

If you can, use tag board or something a bit firmer than paper. :)

Edited by Jean in Wisc

Thanks, Jean. This is our first science spine --well, perhaps it's not really a spine b/c it still deals with only one subject. We are spending next year studying earth science/astronomy. This is how I was going to schedule it. Now, I'm just trying to decide how long to spend on each.

Atmosphere, Weather, Climate

Water, Land (composition and change) [using Prentice Hall

Science to help me along with supplemental literature)

Apologia Exploring Creation with Astronomy

I have learned not to over-plan with science because we do A LOT of science and history reading, snuggled on the couch, and I don't want to overplan (my natural tendency) and never finish.

I have some hands-on fun things because my boys love doing them -- like from The Earth Model book my Donald M. Silver. And, I plan to read all sorts of books for kids.

For Apologia, I planned to:

1. read one chapter

2. ask the questions

3. read all of the supplemental literature for the chapter

4. Do any extras that line up with that chapter

We have a marine science museum that offers star-gazing nights, and I'm sure I can find more in the area for real experience.

I like the idea of doing the labs at the end of the book as reinforcement.

O.K....I'm coming from a very different perspective. I'm an amateur astronomer (very amateur, lol!) whose youngest kid is finishing up his sophomore year. I finished reading Apologia Astronomy just a few weeks ago. I loved it, but it is only for the folks who don't mind Apologia's world view in-your-face.

Just me...

Jean

Just me...

Jean

Thanks for this, Jean!

Be sure you the one that is for your latitude. Read more about it here.

I should add that not all planispheres are made for a specific latitude. Many of them have everything you can see from the northern or southern hemisphere. They work, but you need to understand that you will not be able to see everything--for example, if you are in Florida, you will be able to see more southern constellations than I can, but I will be able to see more constellations around the North Star.

Enjoy!

My kids did them all! They loved doing it. *I* would not consider them busywork because my kids just LOVED doing them! They are very hands on learners though and love activites. We do as many activities as we can. They love it!

I certainly would not buy their "kits" though. 90% of the stuff is stuff you would have (you might have to go out and buy something-but generally cheap and easy to get!) :D