Menu

Detailed MEP questions

For those of you who are on the MEP yahoo group I apologize for the repetiveness of my questions. :D

Before I can make a definitive choice about MEP I need to understand the following:

Does MEP teach multiplication & division in the long, written-out way that most of us learned it as kids? I've looked online through every page of practice books for Y1 - Y3 and don't see it. I do see problems listed horizontally though. Are these to be worked out on separate paper or in their heads?

I have the same question about carrying & borrowing in add. & sub. Does MEP ever line up problems vertically so this can be done?

Also, where would you place a kid who's already done U.S. grades K-2 and part of 3 in math? I don't want to put him all the way back in Y1, but it seems there's a few concepts introduced there (ones not introduced in our "mainstream" Abeka/Horizons math) that are foundational to the rest of the program. Should I try starting in Y2 or do you think that's a recipe for disaster?

Thanks!

Does MEP teach multiplication & division in the long, written-out way that most of us learned it as kids? I've looked online through every page of practice books for Y1 - Y3 and don't see it. I do see problems listed horizontally though. Are these to be worked out on separate paper or in their heads? I have the same question about carrying & borrowing in add. & sub. Does MEP ever line up problems vertically so this can be done?

There is some vertical problems in the practice books for Year 4a and 3b (if you look at the Scheme of Work for years 1-6, vertical addition is in Year 3, starting at week 18. In the 4a practice book it is presented and the student is told to use both methods to check their work.

Also, where would you place a kid who's already done U.S. grades K-2 and part of 3 in math? I don't want to put him all the way back in Y1, but it seems there's a few concepts introduced there (ones not introduced in our "mainstream" Abeka/Horizons math) that are foundational to the rest of the program. Should I try starting in Y2 or do you think that's a recipe for disaster?

I'm not familiar with those programs, but I would try year 3 if he has covered most of it. That assumes you understand the concepts he needs to learn and can explain them. I did some MEP with DS7 in first, then switched. In 2nd we went back to MEP, starting in Yr2. I had to explain some things to him, but he is fine. Or do some problems in the second half of year 2 during the summer, just for fun?

HTH!

Amy

Thank you, Amy! I looked at those sections & found it. It does look like they use a very different way of doing division (regrouping) as the main way. I thought it would deter me if MEP didn't use the "traditional" method, but I find it quite interesting!

I recieved a response from a member of the MEP yahoo group that I'll share for Mert, Shannon, & anyone else interested: Division is shown on p. 149 in pb3b_3.pdf (Practice book 3, part 3).