Menu

Any ideas re: using TOG year 1 redesigned with 5 kids

Hi all,

We bought TOG Y1 a year ago. I still can't get my mind around it. I use to use Sonlight and I think I am struggling with how to plan out the daily assignments, how much instruction I should do and how much should be done by my kids. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have already invested so much into the program and I want to try whatever I can before I throw in the towel.

Thanks so much!

Loralee

Link here:

http://lampstandpress.com/virtualconference/

I would start with the three video on the right side of the page - under Juli's picture. These are free.

Then I would "attend" the two virtual conference sessions listed under "May." You can use the coupon code for the first one "Out of the the Shrink-Wrap." The second one, "Lesson Planning 101" will only cost you $ 7.

She covers a lot in those sessions. If you still have specific question about how to get started after watching the videos, I'm sure the hive will be willing to help.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Link here:

I would start with the three video on the right side of the page - under Juli's picture. These are free.

Then I would "attend" the two virtual conference sessions listed under "May." You can use the coupon code for the first one "Out of the the Shrink-Wrap." The second one, "Lesson Planning 101" will only cost you $ 7.

She covers a lot in those sessions. If you still have specific question about how to get started after watching the videos, I'm sure the hive will be willing to help.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

:iagree: I watched these just this past week and it dispelled the scariness. TOG REALLY is not as scary as it *seems* and these webinars broke it down step by step. VERY highly recommended . . .Definitely watch them right away. You do want to watch both of the May webinars as they go hand in hand.

Edited by abrightmom
To fix my typos

I agree that watching the link Janice provided would be helpful. What are the ages of your children and what levels TOG are they?

My older children(UG/D/R) meet with me on Thursdays and we go over the upcoming week. I give them their reading assignment sheet, SAP and maps. On their reading assignment sheet I use a highlighter to mark the books I want them to read and then I mark the questions I want them to pay special attention to on their SAP. They have a daily schedule for all their classes and on this day they fill in the TOG section.

They are to do their core reading Thursday and start Lit, Friday In Depth reading, answer their SAP questions and read some lit. They read some more lit over the weekend. Monday they finish the SAP, do map work( they usually do the map on Friday but as long as it gets done it really doesn't matter to me when) and read lit. Tuesday they finish lit and answer the worksheet. Some weeks I assign extra research on one person from the people to know list and they give a mini oral report on Tuesday. We meet on Wednesday for our weekly discussion. We haven't been doing a timeline but I plan to do one next year. Mostly the older ones work independently once they have their assignments. I take a peek at their schedule books at the end of the day to make sure their TOG work is checked off.

One thing I am changing for next year is how we do lit. They are going to fill in their lit worksheet as they read. This year they have been doing it at the end of the book and it has been difficult. I also am going to have them keep a lit notebook and do chapter summaries at the end of each day's reading which should help during discussion time.

I do all the reading out loud with my LG and we do narrations rather than use the worksheets. For them I simply divide the reading over 4 or 5 days and do a narration each day and draw a picture when they feel like it. We do the maps but I don't have a set day for them to complete it.

This will be the first year I have an R level student so I am not sure if we will do a discussion with the D level or not. I need to see how it works out in the fall.

We also don't use Writing Aids, using IEW instead. We do writing during a separate slot during the day.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Link here:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I watched these this week and found them very helpful. They are packed full of suggestions and how-to's. I recommend having paper and pen ready to take notes.