Menu

s/o Miquon and rods question

I wasn't thinking and bought a small bucket of C.rods for use with Miquon. These are the ones I got. I have heard around here that it's bad to have the connectors. I think it's because it makes them longer than they should be and can confuse the child?

So since used book fairs are coming up next week locally, do you think I should find some without the connectors if I can? I have about a million other things to spend money on, but this is important.

:confused::bigear:

for a preK student i would look for a set without connectors because the length is important. it really is the whole point. and i know my kids get confused if i tell them to ignore part of the length of something. we had this problem with inchworm measuring blocks. BUT i think bigger kids could easily learn to ignore the connectors and understand why. AND you could always go without rods. strips of paper would totally get the point across.

our rods are 30 year old hand me downs. the other two people i know irl with c-rods have very old sets also, i would give finding a second hand set a shot.

I wasn't thinking and bought a small bucket of C.rods for use with Miquon. These are the ones I got. I have heard around here that it's bad to have the connectors. I think it's because it makes them longer than they should be and can confuse the child?

So since used book fairs are coming up next week locally, do you think I should find some without the connectors if I can? I have about a million other things to spend money on, but this is important.

:confused::bigear:

I would not use the ones with connectors. I wish they did not sell these. They are not "Cuisenaire Rods" (no matter what name is slapped on them).

A child to whom the connectors are not a problem is probably one who no longer needs a manipulative. But for a young mind starting Miquon? No. No way!

Replace them. Sorry to cost you money, but these are vital. If you can get a set of 10 base-100 flats (about $10, get them too).

Can you return the ones to Rainbow (and give them h*ll for selling those so-called C Rods)?

Bill