Menu

Substitution question - dried mustard

I'm making baked beans, and I'm supposed to use dried mustard. I don't have any, and a quick search says I can use prepared mustard, but which kind? I have dijon and yellow. Other ingredients in the sauce are onions, maple syrup, tomato paste, and cider vinegar. If I use prepared mustard, should I lessen the amt of vinegar?

Thanks!

Having made this recipe both ways, I'll note that the "prepared" mustard differs a lot from dried. (Dried yields better-tasting results, imo.) Just squirt in whichever you want. My "vote" would be for the Dijon as blending better with the other ingredients. The lurid yellow type clashes, for my palate. :)

Leave the stated amounts as written. On the other hand, do you really add condiments, herbs, and spices "as written" ? I never do !

Leave the stated amounts as written. On the other hand, do you really add condiments, herbs, and spices "as written" ? I never do !

No, lol! But, I've been craving baked beans for over a week, and I've never made them before, so I thought I'd follow the recipe accordingly so I don't mess it up and get all mad.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the info - dijon it is!