Menu

TOG users, how have you simplified?

Hello!

I am new here, and very new to TOG. I purchased DE Y2, U1 over the weekend, along with MA and WA. I will be using this for 11th grade ds. I'm not sure yet, but I think he will be in R level for the most part.

Before I purchased the program, I put the search feature to work on this site trying to figure out which publisher I wanted to choose (I had a list of several in mind). I read so many threads, and noticed some complaints surfacing for TOG (mostly from non-TOG users) on how time consuming it was to plan, etc. I'm not new to unit studies, nor the commitment it takes to plan, gather books and materials, etc. So even though there were complaints on the planning and scheduling, for me personally I dismissed them and decided to dive in, giving TOG a go. (I'm still nervous regarding my purchase. Please tell me I won't regret buying TOG! lol)

I said all that to say, the program does appear a little daunting. So here I am at this point, needing suggestions on how to simplify the process, and streamline the beginning and weekly planning. Please tell me, if you use TOG in a simplified way - and your planning takes you minutes a week instead of hours - how did you accomplish that goal?

TIA!

~cocoa

When will you begin using this?

Not sure why you'd want to know that, but...

I'd like to begin TOG ASAP (meaning 'hopefully' sooner rather than later). :-)

I do have some time figured in for the learning curve. But, ideally I would like to begin TOG in early June. We mostly do year 'round schooling, with a more relaxed schedule in the summer, usually. So that means I have a little wiggle room if it needs to be tweaked here and there while we're adjusting.

~cocoa

I wanted to know so I didn't give advice about what to do over the summer to prepare and then you tell me you are beginning in June. :laugh:

Tapestry has new virtual conferences and the newest, Lesson Planning 101, may be helpful. It's free if you use the offer code TTTM5 when checking out.

What I have done is gradually trained my dialectic and rhetoric students to plan their own schedules. Here is my basic schedule, including time.

I wanted to know so I didn't give advice about what to do over the summer to prepare and then you tell me you are beginning in June. :laugh:

Tapestry has new virtual conferences and the newest, Lesson Planning 101, may be helpful. It's free if you use the offer code TTTM5 when checking out.

What I have done is gradually trained my dialectic and rhetoric students to plan their own schedules. Here is my basic schedule, including time.

First paragraph: You made me laugh. LOL :D

Second paragraph: I happened to stumble upon that vid and the free code during checkout. I haven't downloaded it yet. But I hope to get to watch it soon. :-)

Third paragraph: Thank you very much for the link, and all the other info you shared. I am in the middle of reading your schedule post right now. :)

~cocoa

We've just used TOG for 2 years with D and R level but here are some of the things I've done to simplify:

1) I assign all the readings for the church history and arts, but those are the first to go when things get busy. My kids know those are "sort of optional," and we didn't make any effort to discuss them for the most part.

2) I used the suggested TOG cuts for literature and some things were read only and not really discussed.

3) I use the weekly evaluations as just an oral review/discussion at the beginning of the next week and only use the end of unit tests for official tests. We also often took a full week at the end of the unit for review and catch-up before going on to the next unit. That meant sometimes we didn't do all the last weeks or combined a few weeks.

4) We did the mapping together on one day during the week - sometimes just having them copy off the teacher's key if we had difficulty finding alternate maps or were short on time.

Our primary focus was getting the history reading (core and in-depth) and questions/discussions done every week and at least selected literature read and discussed. We didn't use the WA/TOG writing.

We have really enjoyed our studies and have learned a lot! HTH!

Hello!

I am new here, and very new to TOG. I purchased DE Y2, U1 over the weekend, along with MA and WA. I will be using this for 11th grade ds. I'm not sure yet, but I think he will be in R level for the most part.

Before I purchased the program, I put the search feature to work on this site trying to figure out which publisher I wanted to choose (I had a list of several in mind). I read so many threads, and noticed some complaints surfacing for TOG (mostly from non-TOG users) on how time consuming it was to plan, etc. I'm not new to unit studies, nor the commitment it takes to plan, gather books and materials, etc. So even though there were complaints on the planning and scheduling, for me personally I dismissed them and decided to dive in, giving TOG a go. (I'm still nervous regarding my purchase. Please tell me I won't regret buying TOG! lol)

I said all that to say, the program does appear a little daunting. So here I am at this point, needing suggestions on how to simplify the process, and streamline the beginning and weekly planning. Please tell me, if you use TOG in a simplified way - and your planning takes you minutes a week instead of hours - how did you accomplish that goal?

TIA!

~cocoa

You sound like me ;) I spent so much time preparing before TOG that using TOG has never seemed Teacher Intesive...it's kind of Teacher Given Research :) I often think, "Thanks for the leg work, Marcia!"

I like to prepare by making copies for my dc. What you make will depend on what portions you use and the level in which your child is working. I print:

Student Assignment pages (has geography, projects, questions)

Maps

Reading List Pages

Vocab/Famous people page

Lit w.s. (which will include anything from the Loom for Rhetoric)

Writing Aids page

Evaluations (worth the purchase in our fam)

Then I highlight their assignments. This immediately allow them to look at everything expected of them and write their assignments in their planner (they divide them up according to personal preference and mandatory due dates).

For my prep, I prefer to read over the Teacher's Notes (TN) and using pencil make my own little markings of what I want to cover (read the overview to give you a general idea, so as you read, you'll know what to look for).

Then I go back and make an outline to use during lecture time. When time fails...or I fail on time....I can follow along well enough using the discussion outline given, but I prefer to be ready via the TN so I am not only teaching, but learning. It makes our discussions so much richer. For all subjects, save Rh. lit, this seems to be sufficient.

Now, for R lit...I haven't started yet, but from what I hear....if you don't have much education in the area....read the materials first, then start your teacher study.

I try to use the library as much as possible (although I'll buy much more in R level), so I order books 2 weeks in advance, which takes about 10-20 minutes b/c I order for 3 levels :)

Everybody has their own layout for TOG...I like file folders vs. binders. Some like skinny binders for weekly or unit materials....ymmv :)

Finally, the TOG FOG is real. It will take some time to not only figure it all out, but also to decide on how to use it for your fam's needs...and just when you have a groove, you may decide to add something more...the program is so RICH!

If you hit up my blog, you'll find 2 schedules: Mon-Fri, as well as, 2-TOG wks using 3-calendar weeks. Of course, there are a zillion "ways" to do TOG, so take my schedules with a grain of salt :)

HTH...happy trails!

ps...forgot about WA...it is very much planned out for you, so we tend to simply follow along, I just have to make up deadlines and have meetings as they work through the writing process.

Edited by johnandtinagilbert
added WA info

If you hit up my blog, you'll find 2 schedules: Mon-Fri, as well as, 2-TOG wks using 3-calendar weeks. Of course, there are a zillion "ways" to do TOG, so take my schedules with a grain of salt :)

I love love your blog!! What a gold mine for me. Thank you for sharing.

I do have a question....

What do you use for Time Management?

Thanks!

Holly

Thanks so much to everyone! It was so helpful to read everyone's scheduling tips and the blogs.

Tina, your blog made me cry it was so sweet. I read your intro and it was just bursting with Christian love. You have an amazing blog and family. As you requested, I am praying for your 8th grader to get the drum set, and for your 9th grader to sustain a good attitude. Also that you become more confident when teaching those deeper lit subjects (I can sooo identify, please pray for me, too) ... :-) Also, I would like to know more about the time management course you mentioned...

~cocoa

Thanks so much to everyone! It was so helpful to read everyone's scheduling tips and the blogs.

Tina, your blog made me cry it was so sweet. I read your intro and it was just bursting with Christian love. You have an amazing blog and family. As you requested, I am praying for your 8th grader to get the drum set, and for your 9th grader to sustain a good attitude. Also that you become more confident when teaching those deeper lit subjects (I can sooo identify, please pray for me, too) ... :-) Also, I would like to know more about the time management course you mentioned...

~cocoa

I love love your blog!! What a gold mine for me. Thank you for sharing.

I do have a question....

What do you use for Time Management?

Thanks!

Holly

Ya'll are sweet. Thank you very much for the encouragement and prayers...both are treasured and appreciated. I think my blog is kinda boring, to be honest.

For Time Management, I use some templates to form their own "Control Journal" (Fly Lady's words for your "all things important binder") and I make them write everything under the sun down for each days "spread." The spread includes all of their subjects in school and a place for extra-curr., appointments, etc. Each Monday morning, or sometimes Sundays after 4, we all sit down and plan out our week. They have to write down all assignments due, reminders, whatever, and mark them off as they go. One small square on a "monthly" calendar just doesn't do the trick.

I also use a timer...a lot. Part of my rising 9th graders problem is distraction and lack of attention to time. He'll do history for 3 hours if he's not paying attention to the clock; so I've started giving him "classes" like public school. "You have 45 min. to finish your math. Please set your timer." The timer goes off, he has homework and must move on to the next subject...but first, he has to write down his homework in his Control Journal. Then, "You have 20 minutes for your Logic CD, please set the timer." It has Really, Really helped. I feel like I'm aggravated less.

Finally, I have daily meetings. I *wish* they were independent at this point, but the truth is, I still need to follow up or the work won't get finished. I had hoped I taught them better than needing me to follow behind them all day....it's rather annoying when they're taller than you and you still have to tell them to get to work or clean their rooms....but, it is what it is. At least I'm still needed. Which makes me :001_smile: and also :glare:

Over time, I've read a lot about time management for myself, so I had a grip, then I read ...That Crumpled Paper Was Due Thursday....can't remember the entire title for certain, and it gave me a glimpse at how ordinary my boys were with their poor t.m. skills. I put what I knew into action for them and it is helping. They're very lazy about writing things down, so I persist, they write, and they're better at getting their business done!

I even started a Control Journal with my 4th grader. Instead of writing everything in before, she puts it in after, more like a log of what she completes. With significant practice in this regard, I think she'll be prepared soon enough to start by writing assignments before the work gets done. I won't wait for 7th or 8th grade ever again!

I'm happy to share templates, just pm or email with a return email addy and I'll send them your way.

Thank you again for your kind words :)