Menu

CC--Curriculum that disciples? (MFW, HOD, ??)

sbgrace

I don't know if this exists.

My boys are six. I've got solid core subjects--math, phonics, handwriting for us right now. What I really want is something that helps disciple them in Christ--developing a heart love for God and a seeking heart more than these are the rules/legalistic.

I'm doing HOD right now. In the second half of LHFHG and, as far as I can tell, the next level up as well there isn't daily bible outside of bible memory work. I know faith is infused but I'm finding myself wanting (and adding) much more. I'd like a curriculum that does that for me if it exists?

I can't tell if MFW is that curriculum or if it's much like HOD in that respect and/or if it's all other/mission focused. Are there other options? Would I be better adding in a separate curriculum for the bible/"heart work" area--if so what?

I haven't used HOD so I can't compare the two. We have used MFW all the way through and I can tell you that it has been a major part of the discipling our kids. Through MFW we have learned the names of Jesus and what they mean to us, verses in Proverbs that teach us to live for Him, why we should love the world as Jesus does, the Roman Road to Salvation, memorized and studies the entire book of James and this last year read one of my favorite Bible books of all time, "A Young Person's Guide to Knowing God". We've read many stories about missionaries who sacrificed everything for Christ, learn the story behind and sang many of the great hymns and memorized tons of Bible. My mil was just remarking yesterday how grounded int he faith my kids were and asked what I thought it was that helped us to do that and the honest answer was that I saw MFW being a huge part in that. They have helped us to be deliberate in our discipling and have given us great tools to use.

I am sure there are other great curricula out there but I have looked at most of them and never seen one that was comparable to MFW in Bible from K - 12th.

Dawn,

That is really helpful. Thank you. In looking at MFW 1st grade--is that a journey through the bible starting with the old testament? I can't tell in looking at their samples online. HOD has done that (twice now). At what age would you look at Adventures? My kids are six but just now learning to read so they won't be solid at seven I don't think.

Simply Charlotte Mason- Free Curriculum Guide http://simplycharlottemason.com/planning/scmguide/ is very Christ/Bible centered.

Specifically the history schedules:

http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/genesis-deuteronomy-ancient-egypt/

http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/joshua-malachi-ancient-greece/

http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/matthew-acts-ancient-rome/

http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/middle-ages-renaissance-reformation-epistles/

They will be coming out with the last 2 shedules (Early Modern Times & Modern Times) within the next 2 years.

These are very Bible based.

Edited by coralloyd

We have used MFW K, 1st and Adventures and are planning to start Exploring Countries and Culture in July. We love MFW! The curriculum is Biblically based, but it is nondenominational. I like that. I do think that a primary focus of the curriculum is to disciple kids and families for Christ.

Regarding the 1st grade program -- yes there is a Bible reader written at the 1st grade reading level. Through hearing and reading the Bible stories, children learn how to do narration. The kids complete a Bible notebook which has space for a drawing of each story and a few sentences summarizing each story. The finished Bible notebook really is a treasure!

During the 1st grade year, the kids also learn several verses from Proverbs. These were a real blessing to our family in that they addressed character issues. What a wonderful foundation.

I really liked MFW's unit study approach in 1st grade. For example, when we read the story of Noah, we studied rainbows in science. Also, oftentimes the verses from Proverbs would reinforce an idea found in the Bible stories scheduled for the week. I love how the unit study approach reinforces important concepts. It makes the school work very interesting!

We also really enjoyed MFW K and Adventures. My dds enjoy reading their Bibles, and we have had some very deep discussions as a result of the MFW curriculum. ECC looks as though it will really continue this discipling process by having the children learn about other countries and people groups and by having the family pray for those countries. The Bible study for ECC is based on the book of Matthew. We have found MFW to be a real blessing to our family.

To address your question about Adventures . . .

It is written for 2nd & 3rd graders. That said, I think it might be possible to modify Adventures to suit your family if you take the time to read the book basket books out loud. Or you could do something in the interim and look at Adventures a year from now.

The Bible study for Adventures focuses on the names of Jesus. And the unit study approach applies again -- when we learn that Jesus is the Bread of Life, we study bread in science. When we learn that Jesus is the Living Water, we study water in science. It has been a wonderful year for us!

We have really enjoyed the American history study this year and are quite sad to see it end.

Thank you for the MFW information. I may try it--just not sure I want to go through the bible start to end again because we've done that in twice HOD (LHTH and LHFHG) and our own home devotional times too--so three times in 1.5 years when we're done and I'm just feeling the need for more. So maybe I need something else for 1st grade.

Or maybe not. I don't know what I want.

Well, I do know what I want. I want a bible/discipleship curriculum (apart from other stuff is fine with me at this point) that makes things come alive and inspires them to incorporate what they learn into their hearts and minds. I'm just thinking it doesn't exist.

Coral, I'll look at the Charlotte Mason stuff--thank you. My kids love literature (the T. Burgess stuff in HOD is their favorite part). That said, I'm wondering if the CM material is hands on enough though for the ages of my boys? Do you think?

Edited by sbgrace

I just wanted to let you know that MFW 1st is nothing like LHFHG. LHFHG was more history based, so it added in world history to working through the Bible. MFW 1st is strictly Bible. It does have dc reading their own Bible reader and dictating/narrating/drawing a notebook (so, so, so precious), but it also has you participating in a Biblical feast, has a Biblical timeline from creation to your child, Proverbs memory/copywork, learning the books of the Bible. IMO it is very devotional in nature. My dd became a follower of Christ during that year we did MFW 1st.

• 2 weeks later...