Menu

still deciding on science for next year. Academy of Science for Kids?

it'll be for 3rd/4th grade. we're just finishing up Pandia Press's REAL Earth Science and i'm looking for a change of pace.

Found this science curriculum (http://www.academyofscienceforkids.com/index.html) through a forum search but only found it mentioned in one thread. Has anyone used it? It seems fairly new and somewhat pricey but comes with everything you need, including access to Discovery Education Science. There didn't seem to be any samples to view on the website. I like that it's very hands-on but wonder if the teacher guide has all the background info needed to pull the science concepts out of the experiments. KWIM?

TIA

• 1 month later...

I have the polymers kit and I'm looking at the guide now. I think the experiments do a good job of showing kids what polymers are and how they work. For example, in the first two experiments kids go through the process of creating a model of a polymer and at the end, it wraps up by explaining how atoms and molecules build to form polymers. However, I do plan to use the kit during our chemistry study, so the kids won't be learing about polymers in isolation, because that probably wouldn't make much sense. I think that if you use the kits along with books or a science program that goes along with the topic they would be great.