Menu

internet safety for kids

My daughter got an iTouch for her birthday. That is taking us onto the internet for her. She has to have her own email in order to log into itunes.

She is going into middle school next year. So, we're heading that way. sigh.

My niece has to manage a blog and make blog comments as part of her AP English class. So, she has a "website."

Looking ahead and wanting to make sure that we don't wind up with multiple emails, social network accounts, blogs and what not that would open more avenues to privacy and security issues, I am trying to think this through now. (I realize that the next new thing will appear before we get through with HS. LOL!)

Which is more secure: yahoo mail, hotmail and msn, or gmail and google? Google has the advantage of having blogger and google docs. Hotmail has the advantage of having messenger, which we use for video chat on my id. Yahoo has the advantage that I use it, and I can buy a domain name and host a website through my email. Which has better parental controls?

Thoughts????

Lesley

Actually, I think it's good to have multiple emails...well, at least two. I've always had a "real" email addy, and then a "junk" email addy. The real one I'm more careful with. The junk email addy, I don't care about. I use it to put into websites that I need to enter an email, but don't want to have to worry about junk mail from.

I don't know about security of all the various places, but I find that gmail does a good job of keep spam out of the inbox, as opposed to say hotmail.