Menu

FLL for an older child?

As I am working with dd11, the more I realize that PS doesn't work with grammar, and truthfully, I am wondering what and if they teach at all at this point. She knows noun and verb, not object, adjective or adverb or preposition.... Her knowledge is very very minimal in this area.

I have FLL 1/2 and 3 that I am working through with dd6.

What if I were to go through and pull the important stuff, reduce the copy work, increase dictation for those levels(her retention for dictation is low, only 4 or 5 words). Would it work? It does mean more work for me, but I don't really care. I want her to learn and thrive. She loves to write, but it is really low quality due to lack of building blocks. I want to give her what she needs to write WELL.

I have gotten a grammar program, but it is written with the supposition that she has at least very basic grammar which she doesn't.

I am not concerned about not using it at this point, it came highly recommended, and we can use it when we get the foundation building blocks laid down.

Would the FLL path get her what she needs with a little tweaking?

Is there a side activity we can do for the rules of grammar? I've heard of mini offices.... would it maybe work for grammar too? Just something she can build on, and refer to until it is just happening?

You could do what you're suggesting FLL 1/2 and 3 or you could just do FLL 4 with her. It works as a starting place for those who haven't been exposed to grammar before. :)

If she doesn't like workbooks, Michael Clay Thompson (MCT) Grammar Island is a fun way to go.

I'd purchased FLL 3 for her, and she gave me the deer in the headlight look, she had no idea what was going on. I'm serious when I say she has NO grammar. She's articulate enough, due to her love of reading, but when it comes to breaking things down to write a semi-decent sentence, she's completely lost. Looking at her books from school, they don't require sentences for anything. It's all short little phrases.

I did look at Grammar Island. I think in a year, she'd love it, but not right now, to many missing pieces.

As I am working with dd11, the more I realize that PS doesn't work with grammar, and truthfully, I am wondering what and if they teach at all at this point. She knows noun and verb, not object, adjective or adverb or preposition.... Her knowledge is very very minimal in this area.

I have FLL 1/2 and 3 that I am working through with dd6.

What if I were to go through and pull the important stuff, reduce the copy work, increase dictation for those levels(her retention for dictation is low, only 4 or 5 words). Would it work? It does mean more work for me, but I don't really care. I want her to learn and thrive. She loves to write, but it is really low quality due to lack of building blocks. I want to give her what she needs to write WELL.

I have gotten a grammar program, but it is written with the supposition that she has at least very basic grammar which she doesn't.

I am not concerned about not using it at this point, it came highly recommended, and we can use it when we get the foundation building blocks laid down.

Would the FLL path get her what she needs with a little tweaking?

Is there a side activity we can do for the rules of grammar? I've heard of mini offices.... would it maybe work for grammar too? Just something she can build on, and refer to until it is just happening?

I think you've already got your answer. What you are proposing would work very well for you dd--just my opinion.

I have used FLL with an older child, and attest that the program can be modified to use successfully. Just jettison the "scripted" chatter from the teacher book, and talk to your student, based on what is in the lesson.

Another program to consider -- some around here like the program, others do not -- but so goes it for every product ever named on a board ! -- is Hake's "Saxon Grammar." Just ignore the unfortunate word "Saxon" (if you dislike their math program) and consider this program designed for grades 5-8. We started it this year, and are well content after failure of other grammar programs for dd (now in 5th grade).