Menu

Timeline for Younger Child

I have seen a wide range of timelines available. From index cards and notebooks to large wall-style charts, there are several good ways to approach a timeline. In your experience, which style and products have been most engaging for a younger child and have stood the test of time for use?

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I have seen a wide range of timelines available. From index cards and notebooks to large wall-style charts, there are several good ways to approach a timeline. In your experience, which style and products have been most engaging for a younger child and have stood the test of time for use?

Have you seen this? It's a lovely bit of info on timelines.

What I'm loving for the early years is copywork relevant to a historic event or person and drawings on 5x8 cards that I laminate and clip on a wire to display in chronological order. They can later be hole punched and ring-bound. I'm saving the project of CM's Book of Centuries for middle school and up.

I have seen the Homeschool in the Woods one and this is a good resources as well http://www.squidoo.com/homeschooltimelines, which shows an example of the hanging cards on a wire you described.

has the hanging method been the most enduring? was it a fun method for a younger child? I like this idea because it seems it would be fun for a small child to hang u "time line laundry" and it is practical for later transferring to a different form like a book as the child gets older.

Honestly, I am not worrying about a timeline until 2nd cycle. I've read too many articles about young ones not really "getting" timelines. I figure we are learning enough at that age: reading, writing, math facts, manners, blah, blah, blah.

I don't share to sound critical but sometimes I think it is easier to give myself a break when I know others have given themselves a break. Ultimately, I wish you luck finding what you are looking for. ;)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I have seen the Homeschool in the Woods one and this is a good resources as well http://www.squidoo.com/homeschooltimelines, which shows an example of the hanging cards on a wire you described.

has the hanging method been the most enduring? was it a fun method for a younger child? I like this idea because it seems it would be fun for a small child to hang u "time line laundry" and it is practical for later transferring to a different form like a book as the child gets older.

We've been making the timeline cards since the start of the year but haven't had them up until recently, so I can't speak to endurance. It did seem like the most practical solution for me too though. I was waiting for the best solution and found this at IKEA a while back and thought it would be perfect. So far, so good. It is fun for the kids. I love that with the hanging method, you can add some in between as you add to it over the year(s). Somewhere I have seen a where someone took the laminated cards down afterward, punched a hole on a top corner and put an o-ring on. Then they're like flashcards/memory cards. I could see kids making their own set like that even without a timeline. Very cute!

Honestly, I am not worrying about a timeline until 2nd cycle. I've read too many articles about young ones not really "getting" timelines. I figure we are learning enough at that age: reading, writing, math facts, manners, blah, blah, blah.

I don't share to sound critical but sometimes I think it is easier to give myself a break when I know others have given themselves a break. Ultimately, I wish you luck finding what you are looking for. ;)

I definitely think if you view it as gravy at this age, by all means let it go. I'm guilty of tearing myself up a bit this year stressing about things that I should have let go. History and the timeline though...that stuff is easy breezy fun here. As I'm learning from my other thread, this homeschool stuff needs to be custom tailored to the needs of each family.

I can understand your position and I appreciate your advice. The reason I am looking into this is because we CC and we do a timeline of cards each year for memory work. Also a portion of what we do is history memory work. I was thinking a timeline would be a fun visual way to tie these things together.

Hopefully what we do can be used longterm and would lead to greater understanding with age as we progress. Much of what we do will be cycled through again anyway, so retention would be great but isn't necessarily expected from me.

I am interested in it more for fun than any type of firm academic portion of our curriculum. I am not 100% on doing it, but if I did begin it, I would easily drop it if I felt it were overwhelming.

We've been making the timeline cards since the start of the year but haven't had them up until recently, so I can't speak to endurance. It did seem like the most practical solution for me too though. I was waiting for the best solution and found this at IKEA a while back and thought it would be perfect. So far, so good. It is fun for the kids. I love that with the hanging method, you can add some in between as you add to it over the year(s). Somewhere I have seen a where someone took the laminated cards down afterward, punched a hole on a top corner and put an o-ring on. Then they're like flashcards/memory cards. I could see kids making their own set like that even without a timeline. Very cute!

I definitely think if you view it as gravy at this age, by all means let it go. I'm guilty of tearing myself up a bit this year stressing about things that I should have let go. History and the timeline though...that stuff is easy breezy fun here. As I'm learning from my other thread, this homeschool stuff needs to be custom tailored to the needs of each family.

I LOVE the Ikea curtain wire!!!!! We you the Veritas Press cards fr CC which I had laminated and punched two holes at the top for two rings. I could easily transition those on and off a wire like that. Thanks for the link!!!!

And I agree that history stuff is easy breezy. We flip through the cards occasionally and read some living books. If I slap a timeline card up or have her color a figure for a timeline, I don't think we'll stress:tongue_smilie:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I LOVE the Ikea curtain wire!!!!! We you the Veritas Press cards fr CC which I had laminated and punched two holes at the top for two rings. I could easily transition those on and off a wire like that. Thanks for the link!!!!

You're welcome. Glad to be of help. My favorite thing is that you can also buy rings and corner pieces to make the wire go all around the room. (I'm kind of OCD matchy-matchy. :blush:)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
You are contributing to my OCD!!! I love those accessory options. We may be running to Ikea this week!

:lol: Sorry.

On the bright side, it's easier than choosing curriculum by quite some margin! :D Plus, those arrows on the floor make it the most pleasant place for me to shop with the kids, hands-down.

This is the second post today talking about CC. What is that? Thanks!

CC= Classical Conversations

It is a Classical Christian curriculum. It can be done independently or you can join a CC group that meets once per week 24 weeks per year. In the group, your child attends a class, with you present, and learns the material for the week together with other students with the help of a parent tutor.

For some, it can be a nice way to connect with other homeschool families and for students to have connections with other homeschool children. We also have parties and go on field trips.

We are somewhat new to it, so I am sure someone else may give a better description or you can visit thei website for more info.

HTH!