Menu

AAS, what else do you use to round out your Language Arts?

I just started reading through Level 1, and I like it as much as I expected, too. I'd planned on using FLL to go with it. I don't know if I will use any writing or not for 1st grade. I may just do copywork initially. I really don't want to take on too much for our first official year of homeschooling.

I've been reading some other threads as well and have a second question. Do your children get the spelling rules from AAS? I really want my children to have that very ingrained in their minds, because I was such a horrible speller.

I added in Writing With Ease Level 1 for 1st grade (although I did not with my older two because WWE wasn't available then). If AAS or FLL dictation overlapped with WWE, I dropped it or moved it to the next day. I wouldn't try to do them all.

AAS does provide spelling rules. Now whether the student picks them up easily and applies them . . . well that's another story! :lol:

I also added SL readers for reading. And that was pretty much LA for 1st grade.

HTH!

My first grader is doing AAS (level 2 right now - we do ten words a day and two sentences), WWE 1 (as written), and FLL (sometimes; right now he's doing MCT Island materials with his older brother). We are also working through Phonics Pathways and Hooked on Phonics for reading.

At this point, neither ds#2 or ds#1 have internalized the spelling rules, but the beauty of the program is that they are constantly reviewing (we don't do the index cards, but even the dictation sentences for ds#1, who is on the second to last lesson in level 3, has plenty of words that review rules from the previous levels). After listening to SWB's elementary writing lecture, I am not worried yet about them have the rules ingrained. I know they will get there soon enough as long as we review them daily (through AAS). By the way, when we are doing phoincs/reading, I will point out spelling/syllabication rules to them too.

Thanks. My son finished 100 EZ lessons as an early 4 yr old, so I'm not planning on using any reading instruction; just good literature and the Faith and Freedom readers. He's been an advanced reader for sometime. I just wanted to add that for the sake of those that will reply below.