Menu

Is Sonlighlight what I'm looking for...

If I already have a math, LA, and a bible program I like and I'm just looking for history, literature, and read alouds. Is a Sonlight core what I'm looking for? I want something to plan great read alouds/literature for me and help w/ history map work and a timeline. At what point does their history become tied to their LA? Will this be a problem if I want to use WTM materials? I'm also confused about the readers...If I use OPGTR do I use Sonlight readers for just reading practice?

I've got all my 'other' stuff too. The reason I'm strongly considering Sonlight is because it uses the SOTW books in Core 6 & 7. I already own those and love them. They also have great other great books to go with them. I have a hard time finding the book suggestions in the SOTW Activity books, sometimes I can't find any at all.

I'm going to use IEW and will use the books from Sonlight to write about so that's how I'm tying it in with language arts, other than that we are giving R&S a try this year.

My little guy will be doing P 4/5 (once I get it all found and bought) and we are doing OPGTR as well. The only 'readers' I found that I really liked, and we are only on page 102 of the guide, is the ones by Laura Appleton-Smith:

The Sunset Pond

Jen's Best Gift Ever

Meg and Jim's Sled Trip

Lin-Lin and the Gulls

It is Halloween (havn't found that one yet)

The words are all/most short vowel sounds with uncomplicated blends. I also use "Listen, Make & Learn at Storytime" by The Education Center (on sale for $9 right now) for more books and activities.

So between Sonlight for history/read alouds and what I've already choosen I think it's a great fit.

Their history isn't tied to their LA until Core 7. That's when LA is actually in the Core guide. Even then, I don't think its a problem to use other LA materials and skip theirs. And yes, you'd use the Sonlight Readers for practice. Readers up to Core 3 aren't always tied to their history; however, from Core 3 up, the Readers are all tied to the history.

If you like/want to read alot with your children and don't mind that, then Sonlight is great. It has fantastic books, timeline work and map work (though it takes finding your groove with the maps) and schedules it all for you. Just remember you don't have to do it all and you can do it at your own pace. :)

Hope that helps,

Their history isn't tied to their LA until Core 7. That's when LA is actually in the Core guide. Even then, I don't think its a problem to use other LA materials and skip theirs. And yes, you'd use the Sonlight Readers for practice. Readers up to Core 3 aren't always tied to their history; however, from Core 3 up, the Readers are all tied to the history.

If you like/want to read alot with your children and don't mind that, then Sonlight is great. It has fantastic books, timeline work and map work (though it takes finding your groove with the maps) and schedules it all for you. Just remember you don't have to do it all and you can do it at your own pace. :)

Hope that helps,

Yes, this helps alot. I'm still new to Sonlight. I just started looking at it a few days ago. I think it might be what I'm looking for. I'm glad to know that the LA isn't tied to the history until Core 7. This would at least get me through the grammer stage w/ no tweaking.

Another question, what do you think of the science? Is it worth the money???

I used WTM and Sonlight. I don't care for their LA at all, I am sure I won't use it at any stage. I do love Sonlight science though, we will be using K - 6th. We just purchased the K package this year. I adore P3/4 and P 4/5. I did use Sonlight many years ago combined with TWTM for my older children, but both have been updated.

I am very close to having heirloom and free shipping for life, then I can purchase piecemeal which will fit my budget better.

OPGTR, we use any beginning books ( I have a ton. ) If we come across a word he hasn't learned yet I just read it for him and he repeats it ( I did the same with all of my older children ). This hasn't caused any issue so far. We do have Sonlights K, 1, 2 reg, 2 int. readers, HOP 1-2 readers, I See Sam, and tons of others we have picked up here and there. We dropped the LA pages as my son was not writing near well enough, he still isn't but reading very well.

ETA: I need more coffee before replying to questions LOL.

Edited by alatexan68

If I already have a math, LA, and a bible program I like and I'm just looking for history, literature, and read alouds. Is a Sonlight core what I'm looking for? I want something to plan great read alouds/literature for me and help w/ history map work and a timeline. At what point does their history become tied to their LA? Will this be a problem if I want to use WTM materials? I'm also confused about the readers...If I use OPGTR do I use Sonlight readers for just reading practice?

That's exactly what we're doing except that I'm using Sonlight's Bible as well (which is optional when buying the core, but scheduled in the IG). My oldest did P4/5 for Kindergarten and are using Core K for 1st grade. My middle guy is using P3/4 for preschool. I use SWR as my LA and have other plans for grammar and writing later, so I'm not ever planning on using SL's LA. My ds and I are enjoying the reader's, though. We're on Readers 2 right now. He reads a lot for fun, but these are his official, read-aloud-to-mom-each-day books. Once you get to Core 3/Readers3, the readers become part of the history and literature learning instead of just reading practice.

This is one reason that Sonlight appeals to me. We have a bad library and I'm afraid I just won't be able to hunt enough add-on books. Sonlight has them in a neat pre-made package for me.
Well, my daughter doesn't like about half of the Sonlight books. She prefers to research things on her own and read more non-fiction. :) Sonlight could work for you but there are other lit based curriculums that will fill the bill.

I don't use our library very often. We will get into researching something like Noah's flood, dinosaurs, artists, mermaids, and I will just order books from paperbackswap.com or amazon. Amazon has an amazing return policy, btw. I have had no problem previewing books and sending them back... even after 90 days.

Heart of Dakota would also work for what you stated and I love the flexibility of choosing readers for each genre, the hands on activities and it looks like it is simple to implement. Take a look at their catalog and book packages. Bringing up learners mosaic could as well. If you want your literature tied into history ala WTM then my program below could.

Winterpromise has some great programs with literature for the early grades. Veritas press does as well. I do not, however, know about mapping activities for those. I just know that the books are more varied than Sonlight and DD seems to like them better.

HTH!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I also notice that people say don't do core K in kindergarten, wait until 1st grade..you don't want to reach higher cores too early...could someone give me more details as to why this is??

I have two chidren, that I'm looking to combine...they are still both under 3 so when it is time I can start w/ core 3/4. My daughter is 15 months older than my son. I plan to keep them together for everything except, LA and math. At what ages should we begin core 3/4?

I also notice that people say don't do core K in kindergarten, wait until 1st grade..you don't want to reach higher cores too early...could someone give me more details as to why this is??

I have two chidren, that I'm looking to combine...they are still both under 3 so when it is time I can start w/ core 3/4. My daughter is 15 months older than my son. I plan to keep them together for everything except, LA and math. At what ages should we begin core 3/4?

On the Sonlight website and in the catalog, it gives suggested ages for each core. Most people suggest using the upper range of the age suggestions to help in choosing which core is best for your child(ren). If you're asking about P3/4--which is the "beginning" core--the suggested age is 3-4, so I'd aim for starting it when your youngest is at least 3 1/2 years old. That would still work for your oldest. Then the suggested age for P4/5 is 4-5, so that still makes it a good fit for your children's ages. Core K is for ages 5-7, so your children will both be at the upper end of the age range by the time you make it to this core.:) Sonlight offers great literature, but there is lots of reading. You want to be sure not to overwhelm your children. Keeping that in mind, that's why it's best (typically) to go by the upper end of the age range. Hope that helps!

Not all people believe that you shouldn't do K in K. It really depends on your children and what you want out of Sonlight.

My son is doing K at almost 4 ( June ) and loving it. We zoomed through P 3/4 and P 4/5 twice each. But he isn't a sensitive child, there are some things I will gloss over. ( I did Sonlight with my now graduates, with no issues doing them early. )

Core K is chapter books with very few pictures, in my opinion it is more of an attention span thing. I don't expect my children to get everything from the early years. I am building pegs of exposure, that they will later hang facts on, then question those facts, etc. These books I have now will be read over and over, by me aloud then by them as assigned readers later.

If you look around at signatures here on TWTM, many more here use them as grades than those at Sonlight do.

Guest Cindie2dds

We still have all the books from P3/4 and some from P4/5, which we are currently reading along with Ambleside's Year 0 list. They are my favorites! As far as Core K goes, you could do it with a Kindergarten student if you want to, but be forewarned that there are some emotionally challenging stories in there. That is why we chose to go a different route. I would highly recommend going to the library and checking out some of the books on the list to see if you and your children would be comfortable with them. If you are comfortable, there is no reason why you can't do Core K for Kindergarten.