Menu

Rod & Staff Algebra. Any info?

I understand this is in the works. Have any of you heard at what point R&S is in writing/publishing the Algebra 1 textbook?

DD used R&S starting in 5th grade. She was happy when we had to move on. After trying different Algebra programs, she told me that she wished that R&S had an Algebra text. We'll move ahead with what we have, but I'm really hoping it is available before the next child needs Algebra.

I wish I knew! I actually called them last year to ask and whoever answered the phone didn't know anything about it and told me that, as far as he knew, there was no algebra program in the works. The next time I received their catalog though, I noticed that it was mentioned that they are working on one.

In case it's not coming out any time soon -- have you tried Lial's? My son's been using R&S since the beginning and he's in R&S 5 now. I'm planning on using Lial's after R&S 8. I've already bought Basic College Math and it looks pretty good.

Lisa

Lisa, thanks for letting me know. If I remember correctly, from reading the newsletters, Algebra was bumped while they put together the new record keeping course. The 2010 catalog (pg. 75) says "Recordkeeping and algebra courses are being planned..." I hope so. :)

Ds1 did R&S 8. Up until then we'd done a combo of Singapore Primary Math and Abeka. He really liked R&S after a failed "experiment" with TT prealgebra. Tried Lial's Introductory Algebra next. He didn't do well. Part of it was he refused to be "taught." He thought he could just read the text and do it himself. Didn't want me advising him At All. Part of it was that the format of the book overwhelmed him. I only assigned him a portion of the lesson at a time but there was just something about the format he didn't like.

He ended up doing Jacobs Algebra. Dh taught it. Ds did well--high B. He moved on to private school for high school and had to take an end-of-course test for algebra so he could move on to geometry. The teacher correcting the tests said he did very well and clearly understood algebra.

So this is a long story just to say that if your dd enjoyed R&S maybe Jacob's would work for her too.

Cinder

Thanks Cinder. I'll see if I can find a copy of Jacobs Algebra.

DD tried Lial's and also seemed to have trouble. She did fine with the practice problems throughout the lesson but didn't know how to approach the problems at the end of the lesson. I pulled the book out the other day to reconsider and knew that it probably wouldn't work for her...still.