Menu

Anyone have experience with the "Alert" program?

My 2 boys (7 and 9) started OT today. They both have issues with writing (which I knew) and the 7yo has severe motor planning/integration issues. Both have sensory issues and attention issues. These are just the OT areas - they also have language issues and LDs.

They suggested interventions (among others) are Interactive Metronome, Therapeutic Listening Program, and Alert.

http://alertprogram.com/

Does anyone have any experience with Alert? I've never heard of it.

My 2 boys (7 and 9) started OT today. They both have issues with writing (which I knew) and the 7yo has severe motor planning/integration issues. Both have sensory issues and attention issues. These are just the OT areas - they also have language issues and LDs.

They suggested interventions (among others) are Interactive Metronome, Therapeutic Listening Program, and Alert.

http://alertprogram.com/

Does anyone have any experience with Alert? I've never heard of it.

This is one of the things our OT did with our ds. It was very helpful. It is basically teaching them to identify their arousal state by asking how their engine is running: low (lethargic), medium (optimal), or high ( hyperactive). Then the child is taught ways to alter their arousal state to get to "medium." They are taught very practical strategies like using proprioceptive input (heavy work done by muscles and joints.) At our OT's, it wasn't a "program" so much as just some good words that could communicate to a child about self-regulation & practical strategies. The OT would always start with us in the waiting room and find out whether ds thought he was hi, lo, or med. She would ask as they did various activities and at the end of the session. He was always "medium" by the end and left feeling very relaxed and alert.

How do *I* learn about it? Will the OT coach me as well? We've only had two sessions so far and she is working on figuring out what to start when (I have 2 in OT and they are both going to do Interactive Metronome, Therapeutic Listening, dealing with sensory issues, motor planning, etc.)

Someone had the book for sale on the sale board a couple of months ago - maybe it's still available? Best way, though, is if you can sit in on your child's tx sessions and learn how the therapist individualizes it for your child. While the Alert Program is a framework, it's effectiveness is dependent on being individualized.

You can purchase the same program materials your OT is using here, as well as ones that are specifically designed for use at home:

http://www.alertprogram.com/

Amazon also sometimes carries the main program manual.

Your OT will do some coaching with you regarding the program implementation. How far you want to take it at home is up to you. There are games, books, music CDs, etc. all available for use at home but these are items of choice. For us, the terminology has been the big deal. "How is your engine running right now, darling? What can we do to make it just right?" is overheard a lot! I have three kids with modulation issues, so someone's always in need of an adjustment.

Talk with your OT before you order anything for home use and see when/if she'd recommend that you use it. She will help you a lot.

There isn't much to learn.

You learn to observe when your child is low or high. (you probably already know this if you think about it.) You learn what they look like when they are optimally aroused. (medium). You ask them how their engine is running and help them evaluate the signs.

The OT should give you a bag of tricks (mostly involving heavy proprioceptive input) to move from low to medium or from high to medium. I wouldn't buy a book. It's pretty easy, really.

Someone had the book for sale on the sale board a couple of months ago - maybe it's still available? Best way, though, is if you can sit in on your child's tx sessions and learn how the therapist individualizes it for your child. While the Alert Program is a framework, it's effectiveness is dependent on being individualized.

You can purchase the same program materials your OT is using here, as well as ones that are specifically designed for use at home:

http://www.alertprogram.com/

Amazon also sometimes carries the main program manual.

Your OT will do some coaching with you regarding the program implementation. How far you want to take it at home is up to you. There are games, books, music CDs, etc. all available for use at home but these are items of choice. For us, the terminology has been the big deal. "How is your engine running right now, darling? What can we do to make it just right?" is overheard a lot! I have three kids with modulation issues, so someone's always in need of an adjustment.

Talk with your OT before you order anything for home use and see when/if she'd recommend that you use it. She will help you a lot.

There isn't much to learn.

You learn to observe when your child is low or high. (you probably already know this if you think about it.) You learn what they look like when they are optimally aroused. (medium). You ask them how their engine is running and help them evaluate the signs.

The OT should give you a bag of tricks (mostly involving heavy proprioceptive input) to move from low to medium or from high to medium. I wouldn't buy a book. It's pretty easy, really.

Thanks. I can't sit in on the sessions because I have 4 other children that go with us, but I am hoping to convince my mother to babysit once so that I can.

I know how his engine is running, but I don't know how to help him return to that optimal state.

Our OT always met with me before each session and a little bit afterwards. That's when she told me what kinds of things to do, etc. Ours also had innumerable lists of things to do... :)

I think it would be great if you could get babysitting at least once in a while so that you can see what's going on, but for us, one of the big benefits was the parent-OT discussion.