Menu

"About College" book for graduating senior...

Susie-Knits

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good introduction to college type book? Something that will bring up topics to discuss before heading off. Sure, freshmen orientation will help with this but a book to read and ponder over the summer would be nice. I see all kinds of books on amazon like "College Survival Guide," "A Homeschoolers Guide to College" and such.

Maybe a book for ds and a book for parents - any ideas?

Thanks!

Susie

Here are two that I like:

A Fish Out of Water by Abby Nye. This is decidedly Christian, and is geared to students who will be living in a secular campus.

You're On Your Own (But I'm Here if You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years by Marjorie Savage. This is geared to parents, but helpful for students as well. When our oldest went off to college, I checked out all of the "How to Send Your Child off to College" books from the library, and this was the one I liked the best.

HTH,

GardenMom

Susie,

I looked high and low for a book that I bought ds last summer. I think he may have it at school with him. I think someone here recommended it, but I can't think of the title.

One thing I will say is that last summer, I browsed the local bookstore shelves for books like this, and it was a real eye-opener. Many, many of the titles on adjusting to college had specific advise for students on managing their s*x life. If you tend to have conservative values in that area, you might want to preview this type of book before you just buy based on a title or an on-line review.

HTH,

Brenda

I looked over "You're On Your Own (But I'm Here if You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years" by Marjorie Savage and think I will order it for myself.

But haven't found exactly what I had in mind for son - we are Christians and he will be going to a Christian U but ...

but I always pick up "The Naked Room-mate" when I'm in the bookstore....and I've bought two or three like "Letting Go" but the most concise and clear is the second half of "The All-in-One College Guide" by Marty Nemko. Sixth Chapter is The Keys to a Great College Experience and starts with: "Ready for the most important statement in this entire book? Here goes: The key to a great college experience is not where you go, it's what you do there." and goes on to discuess handling 22 critical decisions at college that almost guarantee a great college experience. I love this book! It does cover on question about romantic life, one about drugs and drinking plus one about moking cigarettes, but the other about getting involved in activities, how many classes to take, time management, prepping for tests....it is an excellent, brief and may actually get read by a college bound kid!

Hope this helps, although I see now you found something more appropriate,

LBS

but I always pick up "The Naked Room-mate" when I'm in the bookstore....and I've bought two or three like "Letting Go" but the most concise and clear is the second half of "The All-in-One College Guide" by Marty Nemko. Sixth Chapter is The Keys to a Great College Experience and starts with: "Ready for the most important statement in this entire book? Here goes: The key to a great college experience is not where you go, it's what you do there." and goes on to discuess handling 22 critical decisions at college that almost guarantee a great college experience. I love this book! It does cover on question about romantic life, one about drugs and drinking plus one about moking cigarettes, but the other about getting involved in activities, how many classes to take, time management, prepping for tests....it is an excellent, brief and may actually get read by a college bound kid!

Hope this helps, although I see now you found something more appropriate,

LBS

Thanks! That does sound like a good read and food for thought. And a couple of books to pick up and read over the summer is good... I have always left "unassigned" books laying about the house and strangely they have seem to get read! haha

I had already typed that post when I saw the OP had found something she liked, so went on and posted it since I'd typed it, albeit with lots of typos. I am a big fan of studying up on anything I attempt so I have a huge library of "self-help" (as my psychologist sister-in-law calls them in a very disparaging manner) books. Of, course, getting into college was no different, so I studied and selected what looked really good, and when I shipped them all off to my sister's daughter who is a high school junior, I kept this one book, my most useful, oft consulted one, and went to Amazon to have a used copy sent to my neice, so as not to withhold the best! I believe I remember your daughter is in college, very happily, so you may be amused to read what they book says about getting into college, which is the main theme. Actually, finding a good fit, not just finding the best college is the theme. Its written about the kid being most important, not the rep of a college, and is so common-sense, so easy to read....its like having a really great college counselor.

LBS