Menu

Tell me about Horizons math please

Elfinlady

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I didn't like it at all because it's spiral and caused my ds many tears. Aside from that, are you aware that it only goes to 6th grade? Even if spiral is your thing I wouldn't want to switch to a math program I could only use for 2 more years.

We are currently using Calvert math for third grade, and we like it well enough. I was considering switching to Horizons for fourth. Anybody have likes or dislikes of the program they care to share? Thanks!

We love Horizons. We started in first grade and are just finishing the fourth grade book. The spiral approach has worked beautifully for my son. I like that he never has a chance to forget or lose a skill because they are continually coming back. When I had him tested he tested a full year above grade level and we use no supplements.

The pages are colorful but not overly crowded. I also like that there are reinforcement worksheets so that if he is struggling with a skill I can pull a few worksheets for extra practice. We rarely need to do that b/c the material is presented in such a way that he just gets it. Most of those worksheets will be used for summer review.

It does have a Christian influence which might not be favorable for a non-Christian family. The TM in fourth has a Bible verse at the end of each lesson and several lessons have references to scripture as well.

Math is such a confusing subject. What works for one, does not work for another.

We've used Horizons for two years. While my dd does well on her worksheets and tests, I can tell that, though she is getting the 'procedure', she is not fully grasping the concepts. I think the teacher's manual is terrible; often it will say 'explain mixed numbers to your child' instead of helping you to teach it. For division, we had tons of long division which took hours and then we hardly saw it again for another 20-30 lessons. Or they would teach something in one lesson and then you wouldn't see again but it would be on a test. Aaaargh! If I was a mathy person it might not bug me so much. That said, I haven't seen a math program that I love ...... yet ........

If you have time, take a look at this thread ...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172818&highlight=japanese+math

Scroll down and read SpyCar's poem about the perfect math program. I think it says it all ..........:001_smile: