Menu

Could someone help with another MCT question?

I have a ds who is weak in grammar and constructing a good essay. I think he needs to bone up on both of these items before he heads to the SAT...ds is in 10th this fall. I also have another ds who will be in 7th.

Could I use Magic Lens II for both of them, if neither has had any experience with MCT? I am very interested in using this program, but I am totally overwhelmed with where to place them. I initially wanted to use only the vocabulary (WWW1) for one ds, but as i looked at it, I think my 10th ds would benefit from the sentence analysis.

Would you combine a 7th and 10th and in which level? Am I right that this complete program includes vocab, grammar, and writing?

Now....10th ds will be doing SMARR AncientsIlit and writing)....can I do both that and MCT with him?

I always ask way too many questions in one post...sorry:tongue_smilie:

I have a ds who is weak in grammar and constructing a good essay. I think he needs to bone up on both of these items before he heads to the SAT...ds is in 10th this fall. I also have another ds who will be in 7th.

Could I use Magic Lens II for both of them, if neither has had any experience with MCT? :tongue_smilie:

I will try to help as much as I can.

Is your 7th grader on the same level as the 10th grader? Do they have similar writing skills? Do they have similar backgrounds in grammar?

Magic Lens is the Grammar book and Advanced Academic Writing is the writing book. Using Magic Lens is going to increase your son's grammar ability and the writing will get better with better grammar. AAW is the book that deals with writing technique and has the writing assignments in it.

If your 10th grader is having difficulty writing an essay I would have him start with Essay Voyage. He can work this book for the first semester, get a good grasp on proper essay form and then move into Advanced Academic Writing 1 for the second semester.

Can your 7th grader write a well written paragraph? Essay Voyage assumes the student can write a good paragraph. If your 7th grader is on task with paragraphs I would start him on Essay Voyage as well. He can work it for one semester or for the whole year.

I'll write more in a minute.

I did a quick scan through Magic Lens 2. It is a 'higher up and deeper in' version of Magic Lens 1. It moves a little quicker but covers similar information.

If your sons have a decent background with grammar they should be fine with ML2. It ties in to Word Within the Word 2 (the vocab. book) so you might want to pick that up too. The vocab. is rich and wonderful. You will also need the 4practice book which is where the grammar is put into practice by doing 4 level analyses on sentences from classical lit. and history. 4prac. is where you can see if the students are learning what is taught in ML. It is amazing how quickly the 4 level analysis allows students to solidify grammar knowledge.

Would you combine a 7th and 10th and in which level? Am I right that this complete program includes vocab, grammar, and writing?

Now....10th ds will be doing SMARR AncientsIlit and writing)....can I do both that and MCT with him?

How's this for multiple responses to one post? ;)

Without knowing your sons this is what I would recommend (based on my experience with MCTLA).

7th grader -

If he has a strong vocab and a basic knowledge of grammar and good paragraph skills:

Level 4

Word within the Word 1

4practice 1

Magic Lens 1

Essay Voyage

Poetry and Humanity

If he needs to cover (or review) the basics - All of Level 3

Caesar's English 2

Essay Voyage

Grammar Voyage

World of Poetry

Practice Voyage

(there is a big difference between Level 3 and Level 4)

10th grader-

Essay Voyage

and Level 5 (if he is a strong student), Level 4 if he needs review or encouragement

If I could only purchase one program for both I would do

Essay Voyage and Level 4.

I will have to dissect your information in the morning when I am clear-headed!

I see what you mean about them being at different levels. My 7th ds is really about as strong as the 10th ds. He has had more grammar and has been through IEW for a couple of years. the older ds just struggles with grammar and writing because he is a math head:)

I really appreciate your recommendations and will check out the sample pages on those this week.

I just really like the looks of this program and want to get back to doing more with the boys, than giving them work and sending them off to do it. It seems like we could sit down and do this program together.

SMARR is a pick up and go program for ancient literature and writing. I do not have it yet, but it fits the bill for this ds from the samples I have seen.

thank you again for taking the time to advise!!