Menu

TOG - How many days per week?

Heather in OK

Oh, Heather, that is such a difficult question to answer because TOG is much like a buffet. If you do most of it, then expect to spend about an hour or two per day, 5 days a week. Of course, the 7th grader will be doing more, so expect an extra hour at least one day per week for discussion, and extra reading time. We do not schedule or count reading into our school day, as it is done during the weekend for the upcoming week, evenings and spare time as each student chooses. Doing the bare minimum (SAPs, maps and perhaps timeline) you could spend a half hour per day, plus 3 days of writing at about an hour each.

Realize that this varies greatly, and that after a month or so, you'll be better able to tweak things to suit your family and things will go way smoother and faster. There is often a huge learning curve with TOG, but it is well worth the effort IMO.

Hope that helps somewhat. :001_smile:

There are sample lesson plans here:

http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/loom/year-all/scheduling.php

And according to their newsletter, they will be offering Webinars that include guidelines on how to schedule TOG and set up lesson plans that fit your family. Their April newsletter:

http://www.lampstandpress.com/newsletter.htm

Hope that helps!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I've searched the WTM boards and looked over TOG's website. I'm sure it's there somewhere but I'm just not finding it.

How many days during the week is needed for TOG?

How much time do you spend each day? If it helps, I'll be schooling four (K, 3rd, 5th, and 7th).

Thanks!

THe first comment is in agreement with another poster...that's tough to say b/c time is reliant is dependent on which portions you use. We use every "subject" laid out in TOG, so keep that in mind. We complete all worksheets provided.

For K: sit in on read alouds, participate in activities, color. 3 days/wk. 20-30 min. tops, When the student is able, maybe have them tell you 2 or 3 facts from the lesson. You write out the sentences. You might decide to use them for copywork :) or not!

3rd: my 3rd grader was working independently on UG (she is an excellent reader). She spent about 20m/day--5days/wk.

If you have a 3rd grader in LG or you're reading everything aloud, you could still complete the 3d/wk, about 30m/day. I would expect more detailed narrations on all reading from this level.

5th grader: UG or D? UG: 30-45m/day....I have them outline the History Core at this point and summarize the History in-depth THey sit in on discussion so they can get a feel for it, but are not assigned any questions if they're not yet in D.

7th grader: D 1 hour, every day, with occasional weekend reading. Outlining, summarizing, and they usually answer 3 questions from the Accountability/Thinking Questions (on paper). We spend about an 1-1.5 hour on discussion. I lecture to them for about an hour 1-day per week/TOG week (this is in addition to their 1-hour daily history)

That is all according to a 1-week schedule. Hit up my blog and you can see examples of a 1-week schedule, and also a larger rotation we use. We take 3 calendar weeks to complete 2-TOG weeks so my D students can dig deeper, without too much time pressure. If you're interested in the stretched out schedule after you look at it, email me and I'll send it to you. When I use the extended schedule, I read every single book aloud to my LG students b/c we have so much time! We narrate about 85% of what we read. They ended up with a lovely notebook this year b/c we read and narrated so much! I never spend more than 25m with LG when we are on the extended schedule.

There are sample lesson plans here:

http://www.tapestryofgrace.com/loom/year-all/scheduling.php

And according to their newsletter, they will be offering Webinars that include guidelines on how to schedule TOG and set up lesson plans that fit your family. Their April newsletter:

http://www.lampstandpress.com/newsletter.htm

Hope that helps!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Why doesn't that first link work for me? I can get to the page you've linked, but when I try to see a schedule, I get a message saying, Hmm... we can't find that page. :confused:

Edited by ABQmom
clarity

Heather,

I do 4 days a week, but I don't even try to keep on a weekly schedule. We will take however long we need to get through the materiel, so sometimes it is a week, and other times a month (usually somewhere in between).

Heather/siloam