Menu

Singapore New Challenging Word Problems

Has anybody bought these? I just have 2 and 4 of the old-- just bought 3,5 & 6 of the old that are on their way, but comparing the old book2 with the new samples on the website, I am kinda disappointed. It doesnt look as hard. There are sections of just problems such as 127+98= ... Thats not a challenging word problem.

They only have grades 1-3 so I can not compare book 3 until mine comes in the mail. So I am curious if anybody has these, or has the old books 1&3 to compare the new ones to. Maybe they just chose a bad sample section?

I was planning on buying the new also, but I really dont know now...

I am not sure about your question, I have not seen the new books. However, I did recently find this page that you may benefit from. Free challenging word problems to use with Singapore Math: http://www.homeschooling-paradise.com/math-problems.html

Also this website (lets play math) was very helpful: http://letsplaymath.net/tag/singapore-math/

I think it might just be sample choice (book 2's were all from the mental math section, so I suppose that is why they weren't terribly hard). At any rate, the samples from the new books 1&3 looked suitably hard, I thought.

Anyway, pulling out the old book 2, its section on mental math just has word problems, no bare equations. Difficulty of the problems, hmm. New definitely uses harder numbers, while the old uses fairly nice numbers (not much regrouping required). Very similar wording used, though somehow the new just seems easier there, but I'm not sure why.

Comparing book 1, old & new, I think that the new is harder, honestly. As far as I can tell, the old book one only had part/whole problems with two parts, while the new book one has some with three parts.

Book 3, old & new, seem comparable.

HTH