Menu

Sl & wp & wtm

Prairie

Those that do SonLight and Winter Promise along with suggestions from WTM....gee how do you do that? I have a hard enough time just scheduling the regular classes.

My guess is that they have parts of each that they do. History would probably be ran by SL or WP, but they might use WTM for English, Writing and Logic training.

I have used SL, and WP, but I was never and still am not partial to the 4 year cycle. Yes I use TOG which is set up to be 4 years, but we rarely finish a week in a week, so at the moment we are finishing up our 6th year of our 1st history cycle, which started out with SL (Core Pre-K 4-5, K, 1 and 2) then went to WP (AW and AS 1) then finalized on TOG (End of year 2, year 3 and now finishing year 4).

But I also use a lot of WTM products and recommendations for other parts of our hs.

Heather

Those that do SonLight and Winter Promise along with suggestions from WTM....gee how do you do that? I have a hard enough time just scheduling the regular classes.

I guess that depends on what parts of WTM are important to you. You can definitely do a 4-year cycle of sorts with SL & WP. We do a sort of loosey-goosey 4 year cycle (we just did year 1 then 2, then we're flipping over to Core 5 which is Eastern Hemisphere, then we'll do Am Hist for 1 yr). I always look at WTM for science guidance, art & music appreciation, etc. The LA plan for WTM didn't work for us, so we do SL LA. I add memory work, which I consider to be classical.

I don't think it takes us any longer since I'm just covering the subject we would cover anyway... it's just a different approach!

We use SL for history, readers and read alouds. We use FLL and WWE for our grammar and writing. We all disliked SL's LA so this is how we combine the curriculums. We do our own Bible program, as well, not SL's. I just follow SL's history and don't worry that it is not strictly a four year rotation, a la WTM.

WTM is a method, you don't have to use the curriculum that they recommend. Those are a starting point. I take the principles of WTM and apply them to what I do. Phonics, classical writing, foreign language including latin, notebooking, living books, stages of learning, memorization, focusing on the basics. I feel like the principle of the 4 year cycle is to start exposure early, memorize what is important to you while they are in that stage, and repeat the same time periods and disciplines in history and science several times (which I plan to do by using some one year programs that cover all time periods/disciplines).

Really most programs seem to take more time on history or science than the WTM recs. But, because I don't make library trips every week, and my kid doesn't read very much, the extra work from programs (when we do them) fills in for the extra reading we should be doing.

We switched from SL to WP in 1st grade. We used WP Hideaways in History. I supplemented it with enchantedlearning printables like the flags for each country that we were studying. We would study China and then on Fridays have a party with the food from that country. We made paper lanterns, listened to Chinese music, made lucky red envelopes for each kid, etc. We did that for every country. This was great for 1st grade because much of what they were learning was over their heads.

I used a lot of the supplements that WP suggested on their guide as well.

Hope that helps!