Menu

A Child's History of the World CD as review?

TMarie

Finishing our second round through the Ancients, I've been disappointed at the small amount of info my kids retained. Granted, they were very young the first time through the ancients. ;)

I've got this idea...

I'm wondering if the kids could use the Calvert CD-ROM "A Child's History of the World" as a sort of review while we continue on through history. Has anyone used this CD? Would young dialectic kids find interesting and enjoyable?

We haven't used the CD -Rom so I'm not sure what's in it . But how young are we talking about ? I really don't recommend using CHOW until at least 3rd grade. Minimum . I think its a wonderful book for children in grades 3/4/5 . But to go any lower in means nothing to small ones .

But if you want to continue this is what we are doing with CHOW and it seems to really solidify the facts for my oldest ( who is 10 by the way ) . I bought some really great books to add more to it , and to set those facts in . Barnes and Nobles carries two really great reference books that go lovely with CHOW . They actually were an accidental find for me . But they go REALLY well with studying the ancients . The names of the books are

" 100 things you should know about " books . We have one on Ancient Rome . And the other one we have so far is called " Discoveries Ancient Greece " . They are both beautifully illustrated and great for elementary aged children ( even grown ups too :>) They are VERY inexpensive . They are big books at I paid 5.95 for " 100 things " and 6.95 for "Discoveries " . So they don't break your pocket. They have other books on Rome , Egypt , Pyramids , Gladiators etc . If you go to my blog( link in signature ) you can see a small review of the first book I mentioned .

Then I went to www.notebookingpages.com where they have free notebooking pages. And we wrote and drew pictures , whatever was needed to remember the content .

You don't even have to buy the other books. You could just do CHOW and notebook to help with the facts too . They have free basic notebook pages, timelines etc that you can copy .

Hope some of those ideas help .

The one thing I know is that CHOW is really best for children who are in at least 4th grade, minimum 3rd . To really appreciate the book :>) I know both my husband who is a history buff , and I have enjoyed it and have learned a great deal and world history this year .