Menu

dd's loose tooth has red bump above it

Dd's loose tooth is the top front tooth. Just today she showed me she has a red bump above it. She said it feels tingly and numb; it isn't painful to touch. It feels hard (I expected it to be squishy, but it is definitely hard) I panicked and called the dentist - made an appt for tomorrow afternoon. Did I over-react? Is this just her adult tooth making it's way down?

No you did not overact it is proubly an abscess. My dd had the same thing. DR gave her antibodics and it went away. But came back months later then she pulled the tooth and dd has not had it come back.

Since your dcs tooth is already loose they might not need to pull it or they may decide to go ahead and pull. So be prepared either way, but don't tell dc;)

Should not affect perm tooth though.

I also think it's an abscess. My middle dd had one at 5 at the root of tooth she had gotten a filling in at her previous dentist appointment. I had no idea it was there. The dentist found it during the next visit. She put my dd on amoxicillin for 10 days (although we stopped after my dd had an allergic reaction on the 5th day) and the pulled the tooth and drained the abscess. My dd didn't need a spacer even though it was about 4 years before her adult tooth came in.

When my DD was cutting her molars she developed a red/purple/black hard lump in her gum. My Dr had never seen anything like it so we went to the pead dentist. He said it is quite common and that it is a kind of blood blister where the new tooth pushing through is causing trauma to the gum and results in the blister. He didn't want to do anything to it unless it didn't go in 6 weeks. It did go during that time and her new tooth came through. He said he would drain it to allow the new tooth through if is wasn't sorted in 6 weeks.

So i guess there can be a number of possibilities but the dentist is the best solution.