Menu

What books do you use the most?

Wheres Toto

Due to changes in my library system, it looks like I'm going to be buying way more books. We have a very limited amount of space at least for now (we have five people in 750 sq ft but we plan on expanding).

What are the books that you find you use most often? If you could only keep 10 books for homeschooling, which ones would they be? What books do you think are the best value for the money?

Hey Dottieanna:

That's unfortunate... But here's my top ten bare bones list.

Definitely the OPGTR for phonics. It's an effective open and go with great games and activities throughout. Everything you need is in one book. The next would be FLL for grammar.

For math at this age: Family Math... I also like Evan Moor Basic Math Skills. Make sure you get the latest edition because this one book includes quizzes, word problems, timed tests. OR Complete Book of Math for Grades 1-2 if you don't want to do a lot of quizzing, timed tests, etc.

History: SOTW w/AG. This is a complete program where you wouldn't be missing too much if you could not get to the library...

SCIENCE: Usborne First Encyclopedia with Internet links.

Four more books I'd use if I could only have 10: A good children's dictionary, What Your ___ Grader Needs to Know by Ed Hirsch, a really good experiment book, and the Book of Virtues by William Bennett.

I'd also rely heavily on the Internet...