Menu

Memorization with history

Tracy

As we are finishing up our first year of homeschooling with dd5, I am so impressed with how well memorization has worked for us. As we move into 1st grade next year and start the first year of the history rotation, I was thinking that it would be great if I could find thing to memorize that went with our history studies. Anyone know anything that is already put together so I don't have to do the searching?

If it matters, we are using TOG for our history studies.

Tracy

I used the suggestions in WTM. We did Roman emperors, dates od Ancient Wars (I made up a goofy song), books of the Bible.

That is a good idea--one that I will use if I don't find anything else. I was hoping to find poetry, scriptures or quotes from literature. For example, we just ran across a cute poem about King Tut. I could find some of that stuff, but I was really hoping that someone else had done the work for me.

Thanks,

Tracy

VP cards do match up with STOW pretty well. We're part of a national homeschool group called Classical Conversations. It's great because the kids have CC one day a week and get all of the memory work they need in every subject, including history. CC uses the VP cards.

Also, as the kids get older, you can use the VP cards as a history curriculum in and of themselves. There are reference books listed at the bottom of the back of the cards. Our CC Director has older kids and she has them read from the reference books about the item on the timeline card and then she tests them on what they have read. So not only do they have the "pegs" from the timeline but, they gain the in-depth information about that particular peg when they read the reference books that accompany that peg in history.