Menu

MEP and Bob Jones

For my 5 & 7 year old boys, I have narrowed our choice to either Bob Jones Math or MEP. I think I squeezed all the info. I can get about BJ from all my Bob Jones threads but I do have questions with regards to MEP.

Please keep in mind that I have six children and although I LOVE spending time teaching them I only have so many hours in a day. I do need to teach other subjects.

I'm looking at Reception year for Lance who will be 6 in Aug and Year 1 for Ethan who is 7yr. old.

Can I have a round about figure as to how long the lesson take? Reception looks about 20-30 minutes give or take? 1a has some lessons taking 40-60minutes. Is that all one-on-one time? I understand that this is written for a classroom, so maybe the lesson can be shortened?:o

I don't see any Answer Keys for year 1.

I see Practice Book and Copy Masters, are these considered the Mathematics and Primary books that are mentioned in the Lesson Plans?

Can anyone walk through a day with MEP? I just want to make sure that once I print all this out (or have FedEx Office print it) that I will be able to teach it and use it. I don't want to wish I should have gone another route.

I'm sure I'll have more questions and am looking forward to discussing MEP with you all :D.

Any other info would be much appreciated. I did do a MEP search but I still had qustions.

Edited by Homeschooling6

Can I have a round about figure as to how long the lesson take? Reception looks about 20-30 minutes give or take? 1a has some lessons taking 40-60minutes. Is that all one-on-one time? I understand that this is written for a classroom, so maybe the lesson can be shortened?:o

I am doing Yr 2 w/ my oldest, right now I'm limiting math instruction to 30 min. (due to other priorities ATM). We generally do a lesson a day. If there is something that is just calculations, I will leave it for him to do at the end. During this 30 min. he probably has my attention half the time, the other half I am in the room but not sitting right beside him.

My goal is to run through the interactive sections together first, then have him work the problems alone, after that we would check his work together.

I don't see any Answer Keys for year 1.

In Yr 2 more and more answers are in the margins of the Lesson Plans. Its really meant to be interactive.

I see Practice Book and Copy Masters, are these considered the Mathematics and Primary books that are mentioned in the Lesson Plans?

There is a separate textbook, I've never needed it. I just print the practice book, ~1/2 a year at a time.

Can anyone walk through a day with MEP? I just want to make sure that once I print all this out (or have FedEx Office print it) that I will be able to teach it and use it. I don't want to wish I should have gone another route.

We sit down and I glance at the practice worksheet and the lesson plans (on my eReader). If there is something easy (addition practice problems, not the logic puzzles) I save it. Otherwise, I read the first section in the plans, adapt to one student (generally I will halve the number of problems) and do that. The written work we do the first together, then he can do the rest of that section while I stack dishes or whatever. We continue until we finish. He does any independent work, and then I check over it WITH him there. We use the number line for all mistakes.