Menu

Bob Jones Placement

I can't find where I can have my soon to be 3rd grader take a placement test for BJ math.

• Lance will start K=start in K;)
  • Ethan, 2nd grade-Ethan understands the concept of add. & sub. but hasn't memorized all his math facts. He has done some MM but it hasn't been consistent. I was thinking of starting him with 1st grade
  • Brent 3rd grade-he has completed CLE 1, and half of Spunky Math (R&S Schoolaid) but am considering maybe starting him in the 2nd grade anyway.

What would you all recommend? Is there enough review that Brent can start at grade level or should I just back up? He knows time, money, some fractions, some borrowing, place value, temperature, lower multiplication

Wondering the same with Ethan, if there is enough review can he start the 2nd grade? I know some math programs review the previous years math at the beginning, not sure about BJ though.

Thank you,

There is a math placement test you can buy:

http://www.bjupress.com/product/235960

Also' date=' on their website you can look at the TOC of the math books, and sometimes the first chapter.[/quote']

Thank you, I didn't see this before.

I went to Christianbooks.com and did see some samples. From looking at the 3rd grade, it looks like Brent can start with no problem.

With 2nd grade there were not as many sample pages to get a good feel but what I did see it looks like Ethan can handle. He does know how to add single digit #'s and sub. single digit. With sub. he hasn't memorized them yet. He can make all his numbers and count pass 100 as well as write to 100.

Any thoughts?

Thank you, I didn't see this before.

I went to Christianbooks.com and did see some samples. From looking at the 3rd grade, it looks like Brent can start with no problem.

With 2nd grade there were not as many sample pages to get a good feel but what I did see it looks like Ethan can handle. He does know how to add single digit #'s and sub. single digit. With sub. he hasn't memorized them yet. He can make all his numbers and count pass 100 as well as write to 100.

Any thoughts?

I think it might depend on your child's personality. Second grade will start at the beginning, but in more depth. Does your child respond well to challenges, or does he get frustrated?

Personally, because of the way BJU is written, I think you'll have no problem starting at grade level. In the elementary years they don't assume prior knowledge, they review and teach the concepts each year...adding more depth to them as the years go by. If you used CLE previously, you will be fine jumping in at grade level...or above...depending on the student.

Personally, because of the way BJU is written, I think you'll have no problem starting at grade level. In the elementary years they don't assume prior knowledge, they review and teach the concepts each year...adding more depth to them as the years go by. If you used CLE previously, you will be fine jumping in at grade level...or above...depending on the student.

I'm going to take a look at the samples for grade 4 but do you think if my ds (Caleb) completes CLE 3 he'll be able to start BJ4?

Again, I'm going to check the samples..........

I do tend to agree with you because I put my fourth grader in BJU 5 the first year we did BJU math so that she could do the dvds together with her older sister. But she loves a challenge and doesn't have much patience for stuff that is too easy. She had previously been a victim of math curriculum hopping, so her foundation wasn't even that great. It was a great year. However, I do have one who panics at the first sign that she might have to struggle with something a bit, and I might have though twice about doing that with her, but I still probably would have.:tongue_smilie:

Is Bob Jones Grade 5 going to be updated and if so, will it be this year?

Hard to say Linda. I do know from what I experienced with the new Math 7, that the newer additions are much improved, and much more difficult, than the old editions. So, personally, if you can, try to go with the new editions. My guess would be that they will have a new Grade 5 text this time 2011...but that is only an uneducated guess.

Hard to say Linda. I do know from what I experienced with the new Math 7, that the newer additions are much improved, and much more difficult, than the old editions. So, personally, if you can, try to go with the new editions. My guess would be that they will have a new Grade 5 text this time 2011...but that is only an uneducated guess.

Thanks! I'm just wondering because my dd will finish CLE4 this summer and was thinking of switching her as well. Although CLE has been good to us, so maybe I'll just keep on going with it, for Annette.

I'll wait and see. She won't need grade five until the fall if I do switch her.

They've been releasing re-writes at about one level per year for elementary, and they just released Grade 4 & Pre-Algebra. I'm with Melissa in guessing that Grade 5 might be done next spring.

:willy_nilly: ack! Well CLE is good, I'll just have her continue on, maybe she can use BJ grade 7 in the future.

Thanks!

Errrrrrr!! I wrote you a big long note and it got tangled up in cyberspace somewhere and was LOST.

Long story short...

To save money on BJU buy through a consultant. They are just homeschooling moms like you who get paid by BJU to take your orders and also thereby offer you 20%+ discounts and free shipping. I don't know if they get actual money, or credit towards their BJU materials, but either way it's a win-win for you both. You get a significant savings, and they get something for giving you that savings. ;) If you go here: Consultants you can find one in your general area. I usually do my ordering over the phone with a consultant and it's very simple. You tell them what you want, they send the order to BJU, BJU sends you your stuff pronto. It's most definitely a win-win. :D

Errrrrrr!! I wrote you a big long note and it got tangled up in cyberspace somewhere and was LOST.

Long story short...

To save money on BJU buy through a consultant. They are just homeschooling moms like you who get paid by BJU to take your orders and also thereby offer you 20%+ discounts and free shipping. I don't know if they get actual money, or credit towards their BJU materials, but either way it's a win-win for you both. You get a significant savings, and they get something for giving you that savings. ;) If you go here: Consultants you can find one in your general area. I usually do my ordering over the phone with a consultant and it's very simple. You tell them what you want, they send the order to BJU, BJU sends you your stuff pronto. It's most definitely a win-win. :D

I have done the same with writing a nice detailed post and poof! It's gone :glare:

Thanks for the link, I'll look into that. Maybe my K'er can use BJ after all:D