Menu

house flies

I can't figure out why I have so many house flies. We even had them through the winter, which has NEVER happened before. I usually will get them in October but after a period of time, they leave. This past October we really didn't get any, but had them through the winter. I think they've bread in our house because what I thought were three pesky flies before I hung that yellow fly paper, actually was over 20!!!:eek::ack2::ack2:

They are mostly downstairs. We have an open concept home and the space is a good size, and I'm guessing that's why it didn't seem like there were many.

We had company last week and I thought all the flies were gone so I took the paper down. I now have what LOOKS like two circling in the kitchen. I don't understand!

We have a clean house and can leave NO food lying around because our dogs and cats will eat it. What could be causing this??!!! And how do I get rid of them without spraying nasty chemicals?

Ohhh... I know how to get rid of them! We got this plant called a Judith Hindle plant. The flies are attracted to it. They get stuck inside and the plant eats them. I am not kidding you that this plant is amazing. We got our at Lowe's, but sometimes they are only at non big box nurseries. They are anywhere from $12 to $30 in the stores, but worth every stinking penny. I was ready to leave SC and go back to FL after my first summer of flies here. Then my dh got me this plant. I put it in the windowsill and kept water under it at all times. It is just amazing!

http://flytrapfarm.com/product.php?productid=5&cat=3&bestseller=Yflytrapfarm.com

Edited by Kari C in SC

My friend has six children who continually leave their back door open. She was having a terrible problem with flies until she hung one of in the doorway just outside the door as a deterent.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5205162_rid-flies-bag.html

ETA - Kari - I love your plant suggestion. We have problem with flies every summer. I can't wait to try your idea.

wow! That's a very pretty plant!!! How many do you have? Is it an easy keeper?

We had just one of those plants and one of another variety that doesn't work as well. Mine is not super big - about 6 stalks. It is in a clear plastic box bottom that came with it. It is small enough to sit on my window sill that gets the most sun. Flies seem to be attracted to the sun. I just make sure there is always some water in the bottom of the plastic box. I am NOT a plant person at all. My dh is the gardener, so it is amazing that I can keep this, but I love this plant.