Menu

Spencerian Cursive!

Reya

DS was severely delayed in fine motor skills and now is doing very well, thanks in part to Getty-Dubay Italic.

DD, OTOH, has had a perfect pencil grip since she was 6 months old. I'm thinking, when the time comes, of teaching her Spencerian. Anyone one else used it?

My dd, now 11 has it. She went through the R&S penmanship, which I highly recommend, but it ends with 4th grade. Her handwriting was so nice that I didn't feel the need for further instruction, but she wanted to learn to write, 'fancier'. We found it at Exodus Books and she works on it when she has time. I like it. It is an extra though. I don't know if I would use it before script was taught. Dd said that she was troubled by the talk of using 'degrees' when writing.

Not very popular! :-) I'll see how it works for me.

I chose Getty-Dubay for my first kiddo, Cursive First for another child whose curriculum I choose (or very specific reasons--he'd taught himself how to print and did it horrifically wrong in every way and was fighting being taught how to print properly tooth and nail), Handwriting Without Tears will be for his brother with Down syndrome, and now possibly Spencerian script for by DD. :tongue_smilie:

I did a lot of hunting and found a number of historical books online teaching you how to write in Spencerian. It was taught in the schools before Palmer became so popular. I'm personally not a Palmer/Zaner-Bloser fan, but Spencerian is delicious.