Menu

Another scheduling question

I have been asking a lot of scheduling questions lately, I know, I'm sorry. I was just wondering how effective this schedule might be.

MONDAY:

9-11- Math

11-11:55- Italian

12-12:55- British Literature

1:30-2:25- New Testament Survey

TUESDAY:

9-11 English

11-11:55 New Testament Survey

12-12:55- Italian

1:30-2:25- British Lit

6-bed- study

WEDNESDAY:

9-11- History

11-11:55- British Lit

12-12:55- New Testament Survey

1:30-2:25- Italian

6-bed- study

THURSDAY:

9-11- Science

11-11:55- Italian

12-12:55- British Lit

1:30-2:25- New Test. Survey

6-bed study

FRIDAY:

Make-up day, catch up on any core subject assignments not finished on assigned day, test, quiz day (not every Friday, just whenever done with unit).

The studies from 6 to bed isn't a strict thing, just so I can stay on my toes and not forget what I learned about the core subjects since I'll be doing them blocked.

Has anyone else used a similar method and how did that turn out? Thanks for putting up with all my questions, this website and all the people on it are God sent. God bless you!

I think it looks brilliant! But my only qualm would be just doing math on Mondays and then perhaps relying on informal review during those 6 to bed times. Maybe you should formally plan to do Math at least twice a week and then rely on informal review when you feel you need it?

Yeah. I was thinking of putting 45 minutes of Science and Math on Fridays along with the rest of the make up just because I know I will have most difficulty with those because I will be taking Chemistry and Pre-Calc Honors. English and History for me is usually easy.

I will be studying over the weekends as well so I do not forget.

I made this myself with the help of someones "block" suggestion. I thought it was brilliant. I learn better sitting and focusing instead of wondering when my next class will begin like I do in public school now. I am trying to get out of the public school scheduling since I've been using it for 12 years.

I would suggest you do math 4-5 days a week, as this is a skill that builds upon itself. I think you will be surprised at how efficient homeschooling can be, so I think it might not be so hard to work in. What curriculum will you be using? This may make a difference in how you want to schedule.

I will be using bridgeway Academy. They just sent me all the worktexts for each subject and it is split up into lessons.

I agree with previous posters about doing math more than one day a week. My ds does a math lesson a day and it takes maybe 45min depending on how difficult the new concept is. But there have been times when he has fallen behind or missed a few days and during those times, he doubles up on his lessons in a day but only does one set of problems.

I think one definitely retains more doing it little by little. :)

I have updated the schedule and made it so in the morning I spend one hour on math and one hour on science. Then I do 40 minutes, of english, 40 minutes of history, 40 minutes of italian, 40 minutes of british literature/new testament survey depending on the day. So the classes I will be taking daily will be math, science, english, history, and italian. I tried to stay away from this kind of schedule because it is a lot like my public school one but who knows, maybe it'll work best.

I have updated the schedule and made it so in the morning I spend one hour on math and one hour on science. Then I do 40 minutes, of english, 40 minutes of history, 40 minutes of italian, 40 minutes of british literature/new testament survey depending on the day. So the classes I will be taking daily will be math, science, english, history, and italian. I tried to stay away from this kind of schedule because it is a lot like my public school one but who knows, maybe it'll work best.

You know, only time will tell if this works well or not. :) I know for my son, he needs to do a little each day in the core subjects or he gets that glassy eyed look. But, if he's reading or working on his writing. . .he can spend hours!!!!!

Also, you will get a feel for how you study best when you begin. My son likes to tackle his math first thing but as for the other subjects, it depends on the day or his mood.;)

I agree with the PP who said you will just have to feel it out to see what works for you. One thing to consider is that the curriculum is probably set up that you will need to do a certain amount each week to get it done in a decent amount of time. This will really depend on how you work, though. One of the best things about homeschooling is that you can school to LEARN, not just school to get it done! :D You'll have to find that balance for yourself. If you feel like you would like to give block scheduling a try, while still focusing on your weaknesses and making sure those are covered, many people will do history twice a week, science twice a week, alternating days. You have very good reasons to make sure science is covered, so maybe you could try history/brit. lit:Bible. Then you would only have one day a week where you do both, assuming you need that extra time.

Just a comment on the "lessons." There is nothing that says you can't do more than one lesson a day, if it makes sense for you. :001_smile: