Menu

Auditory Processing Disorder

I suspect DS2 (just turned 6) may have APD. Without going in to a long spiel of why I think this, I found some resources on the Net and he does display most of the symptoms, but from what I've read, they don't really test for it until the child is 7 or 8 years old. I'd like some resources on what I can do now as I teach him to give him some help. Anyone have any experience with this? He's actually a very proficient reader. I'd say he's at least a grade level above in reading and his reading comprehension is good, but he's always been highly distractable, can't remember oral instructions and when I teach orally or read a story and ask for 1 thing he remembers, he gives really off the wall answers.

http://www.linguisystems.com has a game called Barnaby's Burrow that my dd with APD really likes.

Make sure you have his attention before you speak to him, get down on his level and look him in the eye, give him one instruction, and ask him to repeat it. When he can consistently follow one instruction, start giving him two at a time.

Use short sentences with simple words.

When he doesn't understand something, do not re-phrase. Repeat what you said word for word, because re-phrasing creates new gaps.

When doing narration, read one sentence and then ask him what happened. When he can accurately understand and narrate one sentence, increase to two, and so on.

Use visual supports when possible. If he has a checklist for what to do at bedtime, make sure it has a picture of each item. Read books that have pictures. Use pictures or manipulatives to illustrate math concepts.

Pictures are wonder at this age.

If you can get a hearing/ear elevation done by a good E.N.T. doctor to rule out other problems. My dd dealt with an inner ear infection(we guessing for years) under the instructions to put off APD testing until she older. There many things that family practice might miss when it comes ears.

www.linguisystems.com has a game called Barnaby's Burrow that my dd with APD really likes.

Make sure you have his attention before you speak to him, get down on his level and look him in the eye, give him one instruction, and ask him to repeat it. When he can consistently follow one instruction, start giving him two at a time.

Use short sentences with simple words.

When he doesn't understand something, do not re-phrase. Repeat what you said word for word, because re-phrasing creates new gaps.

When doing narration, read one sentence and then ask him what happened. When he can accurately understand and narrate one sentence, increase to two, and so on.

Use visual supports when possible. If he has a checklist for what to do at bedtime, make sure it has a picture of each item. Read books that have pictures. Use pictures or manipulatives to illustrate math concepts.

:iagree: Break down large tasks into smaller (step by step) tasks.

Use lots of cue cards (taped around the house) for basic routines like brushing teeth properly, loading dishwasher, sorting laundry. You are dealing with not only processing but working memory issues. You want to bridge the gap into getting data into the long term memory, basically. Repetition helps. Be patient. Realize it is a lot of baby steps -- but it will click in. (i.e. multiplication tables may take a long time -- use a chart to refer to in the meantime) I have used Spalding (Orton Phonographs) to teach phonemic skills -- that translated into spelling, reading comp, and writing skills. But I was trained as an Elem Ed schoolteacher to be certified as a Orton teacher. It is an intense program. But it works.

Anything visual as a cue helps a lot. So does teaching the skill kinesthetically (you demo -- they repeat the motion). Use a whiteboard for math may help as different colors may help versus basic pencil on paper. It depends on the student. Loud noises while trying to study may overwhelm them. Speech therapy really helps.

Here is a great source for help:

http://www.ldonline.org/article/8056

http://www.ldonline.org/article/5919