Menu

Megawords or How to Teach Spelling

I have heard so many great things about Megawords! I want to try something new for next year, and I can't decide between these two.

Megawords wins the popularity contest hands down, but it takes YEARS to complete and multiple books make it an expensive choice. It is mostly done independently after the child learns how to do it..... a huge plus for me.

HTTS will teach all spelling in one teachers text for grades 1-12! Workbooks can be purchased for individual grades. It's cheaper and information is completed all in ONE year (as far as I can tell). Compared to MW, it's CHEAP, but it is not done independently.

Will you all help me make a choice between these two spelling curricula?:001_smile:

I don't know anything about HTTS. I'm sure it's a fine program. Megawords is working for us though, so I'll throw out my .02 on some your objections and see if that helps you decide one way or the other.

I didn't think Megawords was expensive. Here in Canada I pay about $25 for both the teacher and student book. We're getting through a couple levels a year; so $25 in late summer and another $25 after Christmas doesn't seem that bad to me. If you're not a natural speller, learning to spell is going to be a gradual process, no? I don't know how anyone could learn how to spell everything in one year.

Anyway, I'm sure MW isn't for everyone. In fact it kind of alarms me how popular it seems to be at the moment, lol. Good luck finding what works for your family (to paraphrase LoriD).

I just got the HTTS teacher text. It leaves no stone unturned in the way of spelling rules. Lovedtodeath (Carmen) on this forum uses it with AAS, and she once said she uses the HTTS workbooks on days when she needs something easier to teach. Maybe she'll chime in w/ some insight about that.

I don't have any experience w/ MW, sorry.