Menu

More books like Christian Liberty Nature Readers???

diaperjoys

My 6yo loves the Christian Liberty Nature Readers, and we also have been given the Nature Friend magazine, which is a big hit as well. We're looking for more books similar to these. We love the informative, detailed content, and the absence of evolutionary theory is a big plus.

Can anyone think of additional titles we could consider?

The Burgess Bird Book for Children

The Burgess Animal Book for Children

Old Homestead Tales by Neil Wayne Northey: Paddletail the Beaver and His Neighbors, Wild Creatures in Winter, The Mallards and their Neighbors, The Bluebirds and their Neighbors

Also by Northey: Wild Animals of Africa

Link below is to the company from whom I bought the above titles--there are various other nature books listed on this page.

http://www.home4schoolgear.com/libowinath.html

Here's another link to Yesterday's Classics nature book page:

http://www.yesterdaysclassics.com/catalog/displaycatalog.php?catalog=nature

Edited by Jen S in Va

The books by Clara Dillingham Pierson are not explicitly religious but they do tell stories about animals with a moral bent. (They are recommended as an alternative to Margaret Gatty's Parables from Nature (which is Christian) by Ambleside Online.) They are available for free reading from the Baldwin Project and perhaps from Google Books too, as well as in print by Yesterday's Classics, which you can buy (including from Amazon where they're 4-for-3). You can check out Gatty's Parables from Nature online, or buy it in print.

Jean Craighead George wrote a series of books, centered on one animal per month. I found a few of them at my library. I am not sure they're in print anymore.

My kids also enjoy reading the National Wildlife Foundation's magazines (Wild Animal Baby, Your Big Backyard, and Ranger Rick). They have no advertising and are nicely done, providing lots of nice pictures and informative content about animals. They are not religious. I haven't really encountered any evolution discussions that I can recall. You may be able to find them in your library.

Edited by stripe

Some older out-of-print books worth getting used (see Amazon, or http://www.abe.com) is the "______ Do the Strangest Things" series by Leonora and Arthur Hornblow and illustrated by Michael Frith. Written at about a 2nd-3rd grade level, with color illustrations on every page. The Reptile book opens with 2-3 pages on dinosaurs and millions of years, but that is the only evolutionary reference in any of the books that I see:

- Animals Do the Strangest Things

- Fish Do the Strangest Things

- Birds Do the Strangest Things

- Reptiles Do the Strangest Things

- Insects Do the Strangest Things

For books more about living in nature your family might enjoy some of these books as read alouds:

- Kildee House (Montgomery)

An old man makes his home in a hollowed out tree in the forest and enjoys living with and watching nature and all the animals, some of which become quite friendly -- including a family of skunks! A charming, gentle book. Written at about a 5th grade reader level.

- My Side of the Mountain (George)

A boy lives for a year off of what food he can gather, making shelter and items from what he finds in nature. Fine illustrations of some of the plants and animals. Written at about a 5th grade reader level.

- Willy Whitefeather's Outdoor Survival Handbook For Kids (Whitefeather)

Nonfiction, but written in a very engaging way, with slightly cartoon-like illustrations, about how to live in the wilderness: tell time, make shelter, start a fire, find food and water, etc. Our DSs really loved this one when they were around 6-8 years old. Written at about a 4th-5th grade reader level.

- "Two Little Savages" (Seton)

Written at the end of the 1800s, about 2 boys who try to recreate living as Native Americans of that area. Lots of fine illustrations of the Native American items and how they are made. Written at about an 8th grade reader level.

- "Two Little Savages" (Seton)

Written at the end of the 1800s, about 2 boys who try to recreate living as Native Americans of that area. Lots of fine illustrations of the Native American items and how they are made. Written at about an 8th grade reader level.

Goodness, what a title....