Menu

Learn At Home complete curriculum

Mommamia

Any thoughts on Learn at Home (grade 1,2, etc) by School Specialty Publishing?

I have the grade 1 manual and pulled it out today. It actually looks pretty complete. There are weekly lesson plans, suggestions for teaching, a few worksheets. You have to pull some random books together, but those could be substituted or deleted. I'm sort of picking and choosing ideas from the book. For the past year, I have put together my own curriculum plan. When I looked over the manual I realized that there were a few things that I did not teach to my 1st grader....various literary terms for poetry. The manual seems advanced(or we are behind?).

Wondering if anyone has used this as a complete foundation....likes/dislikes?

Thank you!

We used the first grade program when we removed my daughter from private school and began homeschooling (9 years ago). My husband taught the science and social studies portions from the book. I used Horizons for the other studies, but did pull worksheets from the book for selected items.

She enjoyed her studies that year. It did take some planning to make sure and pick up the needed books at the library. As he taught these subjects, his mind would begin to develop them and take the ideas from the workbook onto other papers. For instance, when they were learning about the body, he purchased butcher paper and had her lay down and traced around her body. When they studied plants, they disected flowers, put a carnation into dye colored water, drew the flower and its parts, and probably even planted some seeds. They did well with this curriculum.

The following year, he wanted something that didn't take as much planning. He tried something else and ended up doing the same things with it as it was a boring textbook.

I think it is an easy way of teaching an early elementary child.

I have to say that I picked it up one night and read through it, and I couldn't believe how good it looked! Usually those all-in-one books are pretty junky and random, but this one was excellent. I was looking at the 3rd & 4th grades, so I'm not sure how they handle phonics, reading instruction, etc. for the younger years, but I really like the way the lessons were laid out. It definitely felt thorough.

It didn't work to well for us in 1st grade when we used it. It was probably due to the circumstances, though. I had one in 1st, 2 toddlers, and was doing college myself. We wanted something that was open and go that could be used by either me or dh, depending on who was available.