Menu

Singapore Math users....

ProudGrandma

I was told that the numbers on the books (1A, 1B, etc) are not really according to grade, is that right?? If not, what books should a typical Kinder, 2nd and 3rd grader be finishing this spring?? I know that not all children will fit into that mold, I am just trying to get a ball park figure. THANKS!

While it does say somewhere in the Singapore Math website that students who are coming in from other programs typically place one semester to one year behind their grade by age level (assuming they are working on grade level in the other program), the Standards edition is aligned to California state standards and by that yardstick a 2nd grader would be finishing 2B and a 3rd grader would be finishing 3B.

If you are trying to place your children in the program, the placement test is a great place to start.

I was told that the numbers on the books (1A, 1B, etc) are not really according to grade, is that right?? If not, what books should a typical Kinder, 2nd and 3rd grader be finishing this spring?? I know that not all children will fit into that mold, I am just trying to get a ball park figure. THANKS!

My oldest is 6th grade doing 5A, my 4th grader is doing level 2B IP, my 3rd grader is doing level 1B IP and my ds isn't doing anything.

Though my goal is having a good conceptual understanding in math, not being at grade level (obviously). But my oldest two test well on the CAT 5 despite being behind. My oldest was 97% at the end of 3rd grade and 84% at the end of 5th. My 2nd dd scored 89% at the end of 3rd grade. You do see how my oldest dd's score dropped because she is behind, but they both score high on the conceptual side, so the scores also demonstrate how focusing on mastery is working.

My advice is to take the placement tests, and don't worry if they place below grade level. Mostly likely they will just learn a new way to think about something they already know how to do, so it won't require them to spend a great deal of time in the books. They might quickly go through the first several till they are closer to grade level (or higher if they are mathy).

Heather (Mathy mom with non mathy kids :001_huh:)

My oldest is 6th grade doing 5A, my 4th grader is doing level 2B IP, my 3rd grader is doing level 1B IP and my ds isn't doing anything.

Though my goal is having a good conceptual understanding in math, not being at grade level (obviously). But my oldest two test well on the CAT 5 despite being behind. My oldest was 97% at the end of 3rd grade and 84% at the end of 5th. My 2nd dd scored 89% at the end of 3rd grade. You do see how my oldest dd's score dropped because she is behind, but they both score high on the conceptual side, so the scores also demonstrate how focusing on mastery is working.

My advice is to take the placement tests, and don't worry if they place below grade level. Mostly likely they will just learn a new way to think about something they already know how to do, so it won't require them to spend a great deal of time in the books. They might quickly go through the first several till they are closer to grade level (or higher if they are mathy).

thanks for this. We started Singapore at Christmas time (we were doing Saxon), my 2nd and 3rd grader tested at the 2A level at Christmas and we are nearing the end of 2A...but I wasn't sure if I should be pushing them a long a little faster...or if it was "ok" to have my 3rd grader doing what appears 2nd grade level work. Does that make sense? I want them to have a good understanding of math concepts...but I didn't want them to fall behind either. Thanks.

They are a little above grade level. If a public school 3rd grader were going to be homeschooled and used singapore math, they would want to start at 2B.

According to Singapore an average 2nd grade student would be doing 1B and 2A, advanced would do 2A and 2B. But definitely go off the placement tests they're very helpful.

The only book I've seen is 2B -

there is a lot of mental math for addition/subtraction

multiplication/division by 4s, 5s, and 10s

money, time (we haven't gotten to these yet)

fractions

geometry

I don't have anything really to compare 2B too so I don't know whether that falls more end of year 2nd or beginning of year 3rd.

My oldest dd wants to begin singapore again, and we looked at the placement test (she is in 6th now doing great with BJU) and after she looked at the 6A placement test she said HUH:001_huh:? So As much as she wants to switch i am really leaning towards keeping her doing the BJU that she is doing so well with (except for the area of a circle :banghead:) as her main and maybe start her in whatever lower grade of SM as a supplement.