Menu

FLL and R&S

I'm trying to plan out our next school year and am having a bit of an indecisive moment. My ds 6 is finishing up FLL 1 and doing really well with it. He looks forward to grammar and is retaining everything he learns. I am loathe to change things since FLL is working, but I already own R&S English which I used with my eldest. Dd has done very well with R&S though I can't say that grammar is her favorite subject. My original plan was to transition him into R&S 2 after he completed this school year. I'm starting to think I shouldn't change a horse in midstream.

So, question: If I continue FLL through FLL 2 with ds, will he be ready for R&S 3 when he is done? Does FLL 1 & 2 cover basically the same material as R&S 2? TIA :bigear:

We use these programs too. My older dd did FLL 1&2 and then transitioned to R&S 3 with no problems whatsoever. I plan to do the same thing with my first grader who will be finishing the 1st grade portion of FLL next week.

When you say your child is finishing up FLL, I assume you mean through lesson 100 which is the first grade portion. If he finished the whole book, he's done the 2nd grade portion too, so go on to R&S 2. If he's just completed through 100, I would say it is worth finishing FLL. One of the best things we did was memorize that list of prepositions in the second half of the book. That has paid great dividends to already have those down. R&S 4 has seemed a lot like R&S 3 which makes me think there is a lot of repetition built in. I don't see a need to do R&S 2 also.

When you say your child is finishing up FLL, I assume you mean through lesson 100 which is the first grade portion. If he finished the whole book, he's done the 2nd grade portion too, so go on to R&S 2. If he's just completed through 100, I would say it is worth finishing FLL.

Yes, I mean we are finishing up the first half of the book. We just did Lesson 93 today. Thanks for the help :001_smile:. I hate letting R&S 2 sit on the shelf collecting dust, but FLL seems to be working, so I should probably just stick with it. I have two other kids who may not "click" with FLL the same way, so I'll just keep R&S 2 in my arsenal.

We also went from FLL 1&2 to R&S 3 with no problem. I think the FLL really helped get those definitions of parts of speech in his brain. He's in R&S 6 now and he can still recite them from FLL. I have no experience with R&S 2.

Cinder