Menu

Elementary Mathematics for Teachers vs Handbook for Primary Mathematics Teachers...??

butterfly113

I am looking to purchase a handbook per se, for use with our Singapore Math, as we get into the upper levels. We will begin level 5 next year, and I can see where either of these would be helpful. So far upto level 4, I have been able to explain the concepts, with may one or two occasions scratching my head, trying to figure out how to explain things, non-algebraically... ala bar method.

Is there a major difference between these two? Is one better, more thorough etc? Trying to see the 'difference' in them without having them in hand is tough. if you have used both or wither, would you mind sharing here? Thanks!

Elementary Mathematics for Teachers (Parker and Baldridge)

Handbook for Primary Mathematics Teachers

I am looking to purchase a handbook per se, for use with our Singapore Math, as we get into the upper levels. We will begin level 5 next year, and I can see where either of these would be helpful. So far upto level 4, I have been able to explain the concepts, with may one or two occasions scratching my head, trying to figure out how to explain things, non-algebraically... ala bar method.

Is there a major difference between these two? Is one better, more thorough etc? Trying to see the 'difference' in them without having them in hand is tough. if you have used both or wither, would you mind sharing here? Thanks!

This answer is not what you asked I realize; I have not used either of the books you mention.

I will share with you how we generally work through the upper level singapore primary math problems in the IP and CWP books.

First we carefully go over and reflect on the given examples in the book - trying to come to the same conclusion from different angles - although as you mention - only using methods the student has already seen up to this point.

Then, when we get to a harder problem not exactly like the worked examples, we consider what information the problem is giving us. I have my daughter draw a picture or try to make a picture of it in her mind of what is given.

Once we have done this and drawn the picture, the she labels what she knows.

Next we think about what the question is asking for. At this point and at this level I encourage her to be as creative as possible, and use every method learned up to this point to find the solution.

Very importantly I don't allow her to give up. If a problem is frustrating after having worked on it for a decent amount of time, we back away from it for awhile, and come back to it later. This is often successful.

The beauty of doing difficult math is not only the feeling of accomplishment when getting the solution, but also the way it forces her to go over things carefully. By doing this she learn math more deeply and thoroughly.

I hope that helps. :)

The Elementary Mathematics for Teachers (Parker and Baldridge) text has been a good math purchase. It is not textbook-boring and is almost a pleasant read as a matter of fact. Recommend adding to your library.

No opinion on the 'hand book for Primary mathematics teachers'.

Handbook for Primary Mathematics Teachers is not a very useful book for homeschoolers. It is geared toward public school teachers with classroom teaching tips and such. It also doesn't use the Standards Edition as far as I can tell. I believe it uses the newer Singapore math programs which are kind of dumbed down. It does not go through the math books and give specific ideas, but rather just general teaching tips and ideas but none of them were very good. There are one or two gems but that is about all.

Elementary Mathematics on the other hand is a great book that really helps you learn the foundational math ideas yourself and how to teach them. I highly recommend it.

I happen to have just purchased the Handbook for Primary Mathematics Teachers and also the one for secondary teachers. I really like them. I also purchased the one from Singapore....and the Liping Ma book... another one. I just love 'em!!

Now, I suppose, I'll have to get the Elementary Mathematics for Teachers.

:)

I don't recommend the green/yellow Handbook; I typed out a long answer and it was erased so I'll just say that it is clearly aimed at Singaporean teachers using the NEW Singapore curriculum standards, not the ones on which Primary Math 3rd ed and its American cousins is based.

The Parker/ Baldridge book is aimed at American education students trying to understand math. I think it's a nice book.