Menu

Question for kefir people

If someone is sensitive to yeast, can they still drink milk or water kefir? I've read a bunch of stuff on the web, but can't find a good answer.

As I understand it, Kefir grains are fermented and not grown with yeast.

It should not be a problem.

Kefir grains have both yeast and bacteria in them. Thats why they can be used to raise bread etc. I am not sure though what the proprotion of yeast to bacteria is, or whether the bacteria woudl cancel out the negative affect of the yeast, if there is a negative effet of the yeast at all. If you are sensitive to yeast because of candida issues, thrush ec....I would say kefir would definitely help candida because of the proliferation of healthy bacteria.

I have read a fair bit about kefir over the last couple of years and not heard anything to suggest the yeast could have a negative effect.

Kefir grains have both yeast and bacteria in them. Thats why they can be used to raise bread etc.

Peela, I always love hearing from you because you know so much.

Does yeast occur naturally in Kefir? Since you mention raising bread with it, could I use it with sourdough w/o yeast? Sounds like something with which I'd like to experiment. But it would change the consistency of the dough...geez, so many questions!

As far as intestinal benefits - I can testify to it. I was on a long course of antibiotics years ago and probably had no good bacteria left until I started smothering my fruit in Kefir.

Peela, I always love hearing from you because you know so much.

Does yeast occur naturally in Kefir? Since you mention raising bread with it, could I use it with sourdough w/o yeast? Sounds like something with which I'd like to experiment. But it would change the consistency of the dough...geez, so many questions!

As far as intestinal benefits - I can testify to it. I was on a long course of antibiotics years ago and probably had no good bacteria left until I started smothering my fruit in Kefir.

Yes, you can use it with sourdough, but its not my area of expertise.

Yes, yeasts naturally occur in kefir.

This is the website I have got most of my information from. What Dom doesn't know about kefir isn't worth knowing .

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html