Menu

SWR Through the Summer Question

I asked this question over at the SWR forum two different ways and never received an answer, so I thought I would ask here ;)

My two oldest started SWR right after CHRISTmas, so we have been using it for about three months. Because my ds was having trouble with the "M" list I put him back a bit further. Currently we are now on M-2. I hope to at least reach list 'O' by summer. We do 40 words a week.

My question is should I continue through the summer? My ds is finally understanding spelling and is improving, so I don't want to stop. At the same time he is behind in math. My dh wants him to do two hours of math through the summer every day.

With regards to SWR how should I continue through the summer? Do SWR twice a week? Slow it down to 40 words every two weeks?

With my middle kiddos using PR I plan to continue through the summer but they won't be doing two hours of math either plus a lot of it will be review.

Then I am starting Ethan my fifth child with PR1. I don't want to make him wait any longer.

(just writing what the others will be doing so you can see the whole picture of our summer:001_smile:)

Would love to hear how you all continue with SWR through the summer if you follow a traditional school year but also have 'summer' or 'light' school through the summer.

Thanks for reading this and appreciate any help.

My question is where are you and where is Josh with the idea of doing all this work over the summer?

If it kills his love of learning, burns him or you out then it is not worth it. You both need to be able to run this race long term, and while it is not ideal you do have the rest of high school to master spelling where most people would drop it. It isn't as if you really need to have him done now. (I can attest to this as a very poor speller as an adult, yet I still managed to hold well paying jobs). Conversely if it would help both of you to know you were racing to the end, then continue. Where you thinking of not restarting and just going through to the end of the book and then doing something like Megawords to cement it? Technically you are supposed to restart the book to make sure the lists are mastered, and when a child has problems spelling mastery can be a long term target (believe me I know how much you don't want to think of that).

If you and he need a break, especially with the math already on the table, then take the break. He can survive without spelling well a lot better than he can survive without doing basic math well.

Heather

Yes, I will have the kiddos restart the list. We do plan to drop everything but math & spelling over the summer.

I just don't want him to forget anything. He is finally connecting the dots with spelling.

Josh, wants to spell so bad. I'm thankful that he is determined and has a positive attitude about his schooling.

I would like to continue with SWR for at least two or three years, then have him use Megawords and call it done after that.

Wait, I forgot that we were going to do JAG over the summer. Eeeks! Maybe we can have one week of spelling & math and another week of math & JAG :blush:.

We are more relaxed through the summer but I like to have some stuff scheduled. I know playing is good but some structure I like.

What I like about summer, is if we don't feel like doing school that day we don't.

They will have their cousins here for the summer too :tongue_smilie: and I'll be showing my SIL how to use SWR and tutoring my nephew :blink:......

Edited by Homeschooling6

You are going to need a summer after your summer!

Sorry, just lurking. :)

I know, I'm nuts! I much rather over plan though. We don't usually get it all done and I'm fine with that but I like to at least schedule it.

My main thing is to tutor my nephew. Math for Josh. Continue our phonograms and at least complete JAG. I'll be happy with that.

It may look like a lot written down but in reality it isn't. If that makes sense.

Edited by Homeschooling6

You shouldn't stop SWR for the summer. He's just getting going, and you want him to have a nine term of 9 months in before you stop, take a break, reassess, and start over. Two hours of math sounds great in theory, but it's a lot. What you're really talking about there is 2-3 sessions. Two sessions you can do. Three sessions would wipe out my dd. So in the morning you could do a session of math and SWR. In the afternoon you would do math and JAG. Personally, I don't see why you're doing JAG. He's old enough to go directly into AG this fall and not even need JAG. Has he ever done the memory work in FLL? If he has done something like that, I would proceed to AG in the fall and just call it good. His being behind is no reason to penalize him all through the summer. Make a reasonable load, a sensible schedule, and do it. And I'd probably make all the other kids do just as much frankly, so it's not just him. Like I said, it shouldn't be a penalty if he's behind because of issues.

BTW, if you want to get that time up on the math without making it punitive or overhard, I would use a variety of things. For instance, just do two lessons a day of the math (one int he morning, one in the afternoon), but then play computer drill games later in the morning and card games or Math Olympiad or CWP or other fun stuff in the afternoon. Spice it up. I found some really fun drill books last summer where you solve the basic addition, fraction problems, etc. (there were books for each) and then used the answers to complete the codes and color the surprise. They're fun. There are lots of fun things you can do for math to spice it up and work him without it feeling like 4 lessons a day, kwim? You do too much a day of the same thing and you'll burn out, meaning you accomplish less.

Edited by OhElizabeth

You shouldn't stop SWR for the summer. He's just getting going, and you want him to have a nine term of 9 months in before you stop, take a break, reassess, and start over. Two hours of math sounds great in theory, but it's a lot. What you're really talking about there is 2-3 sessions. Two sessions you can do. Three sessions would wipe out my dd. So in the morning you could do a session of math and SWR. In the afternoon you would do math and JAG. Personally, I don't see why you're doing JAG. He's old enough to go directly into AG this fall and not even need JAG. Has he ever done the memory work in FLL? If he has done something like that, I would proceed to AG in the fall and just call it good. His being behind is no reason to penalize him all through the summer. Make a reasonable load, a sensible schedule, and do it. And I'd probably make all the other kids do just as much frankly, so it's not just him. Like I said, it shouldn't be a penalty if he's behind because of issues.

BTW, if you want to get that time up on the math without making it punitive or overhard, I would use a variety of things. For instance, just do two lessons a day of the math (one int he morning, one in the afternoon), but then play computer drill games later in the morning and card games or Math Olympiad or CWP or other fun stuff in the afternoon. Spice it up. I found some really fun drill books last summer where you solve the basic addition, fraction problems, etc. (there were books for each) and then used the answers to complete the codes and color the surprise. They're fun. There are lots of fun things you can do for math to spice it up and work him without it feeling like 4 lessons a day, kwim? You do too much a day of the same thing and you'll burn out, meaning you accomplish less.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that JAG is for Annette, I do plan to have Joshua do the first timeline of AG.

The rest of the gang will do one math lesson a day as well and do copywork or I'll dictate sentences with the words they learned from PR.

With Josh and math my dh really wants him to be ready for Algebra by the middle of his 9th grader year. Our goal is to have him work through the summers but at the same time if it's too much we will back off.

He started Saxon Math today and my plan if for him to do two lessons a day, minus one timed drill sheet and one 'warm up'.

Most likely I'll have him alternate with SWR & AG and do math everyday.

Linda, obviously you've done a lot of thinking through this, but how far behind IS he that even if you double up lessons all summer he won't get to algebra till 9th??? There are skippable levels to most math curricula, so that if you do the 6th grade math and really NAIL it you can go directly into pre-algebra. You might let him test out of chapters till he gets to where he needs to be. Or do a year and then retest with a placement test and see what happens. There's SO much repetition in the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade books, it's really not necessary to slavishly go through every single one with an older student. You can bump it up and slow down in the lessons till they get it. Or go through the easier grade stuff at a much faster pace (3-4 lessons a day) to build proficiency and confidence and slow down when you get to what is for him new material. You've probably thought through all that already. I think your goal is perfectly reasonable.

Linda, obviously you've done a lot of thinking through this, but how far behind IS he that even if you double up lessons all summer he won't get to algebra till 9th??? There are skippable levels to most math curricula, so that if you do the 6th grade math and really NAIL it you can go directly into pre-algebra. You might let him test out of chapters till he gets to where he needs to be. Or do a year and then retest with a placement test and see what happens. There's SO much repetition in the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade books, it's really not necessary to slavishly go through every single one with an older student. You can bump it up and slow down in the lessons till they get it. Or go through the easier grade stuff at a much faster pace (3-4 lessons a day) to build proficiency and confidence and slow down when you get to what is for him new material. You've probably thought through all that already. I think your goal is perfectly reasonable.

He has completed MUS Alpha, Beta & Gamma. Beta & Gamma he finished twice. He still was missing too many problems so I switched him to Math Mammoth. After talkig with Maria Miller she thought it best to place him in 3A. He started June of 09. He has completed all of 3A and 3B and half of 4A. I have come to realize that Josh does not work well with 'out-of-the' box thinking. This is when I decided to use Saxon Math with him.

SL mentioned that some of the weaknesses of Saxon is all that drill and repetition. This is when I had that light bulb moment and realized that this is what Josh needs. I don't know why I never figured it out before because I have blogged so many times how Josh, has a hard time processing all the phonics & spelling rules. That it was too much for him when he was younger. Once the information was in his brain instead of taking a straight path it would get all mixed up with all the other information and make turns here and there until it was lost.

Singapore and Math Mammoth give him too many ways to figure out the problems. He just needs the information and that's it. Nothing else. No tricks or anything.

Anyway all that to say that I gave him the Saxon placement test and he tested into 5/4. Once he completed 5/4 I'll take your advice and have him take another placement test.

I know SWR is working for him because of the constant drill with the phonograms and rules and the repetition of repeating them as I dictate the words.

Linda, you might also look for some online learning style assessments (visual vs. auditory vs. kinesthetic, etc.) to see if there are any further tweaks you can make. If you find out he's dominantly one type, you could cater to that. My dd turns out to be a very strong visual learner, which is explains why the auditory work in RightStart did little for her (chanting patterns, card games, etc.). I finally just gave her math tables in sheet protectors and let her move on. I gave her more inputs that were visual (Flashmaster, drill books, etc.). If he's an auditory learner, you might do something totally different, adding chanting math stuff to your day, more auditory work on the patterns (step 1 for division, step 2, etc.).

He has completed MUS Alpha, Beta & Gamma. Beta & Gamma he finished twice. He still was missing too many problems so I switched him to Math Mammoth. After talkig with Maria Miller she thought it best to place him in 3A. He started June of 09. He has completed all of 3A and 3B and half of 4A. I have come to realize that Josh does not work well with 'out-of-the' box thinking. This is when I decided to use Saxon Math with him.

SL mentioned that some of the weaknesses of Saxon is all that drill and repetition. This is when I had that light bulb moment and realized that this is what Josh needs. I don't know why I never figured it out before because I have blogged so many times how Josh, has a hard time processing all the phonics & spelling rules. That it was too much for him when he was younger. Once the information was in his brain instead of taking a straight path it would get all mixed up with all the other information and make turns here and there until it was lost.

Singapore and Math Mammoth give him too many ways to figure out the problems. He just needs the information and that's it. Nothing else. No tricks or anything.

Anyway all that to say that I gave him the Saxon placement test and he tested into 5/4. Once he completed 5/4 I'll take your advice and have him take another placement test.

I know SWR is working for him because of the constant drill with the phonograms and rules and the repetition of repeating them as I dictate the words.

In this case I would agree with OhE. If the case is that he is more of an auditory learner, then Saxon might only help some (because it does have the drill he needs) where some sort of computerized program, or muli-sensory like Right Start might work better if he has a combination of learning styles or if he is auditory. Auditory learners are often very social, love to talk and be read to.

As for the summer, I think it really is up to you. Just hearing that you are willing to back off if needed makes me think that you all will be fine.

Heather

In this case I would agree with OhE. If the case is that he is more of an auditory learner, then Saxon might only help some (because it does have the drill he needs) where some sort of computerized program, or muli-sensory like Right Start might work better if he has a combination of learning styles or if he is auditory. Auditory learners are often very social, love to talk and be read to.

As for the summer, I think it really is up to you. Just hearing that you are willing to back off if needed makes me think that you all will be fine.

Heather

I'm not sure that he is an auditory learner. He doesn't like manipulatives at all. When we used MUS he never used the rods. I did try Right Start with him a few years back.

I did have him take an online Learning Style Assessment. My husband and I have noticed that Josh works best with structure and routine. This is something that the assessment pointed out too. He is structured by nature, have sequential, ordered components offer routine, drill, organization.

He prefers material with logical, sequential;uses workbooks, involves planning, scheduling and due dates.

His environment; quiet spaces, routine, organization atmosphere that is consistent, secure, ordered scheduled, planned time.

He needs things completed in and prepared in in certain order.

I think using workbooks with lots of drill is what works for him. Memorizing things to music.

Something like Saxon I think will work for him because it's very organized and orderly.

I still can't figure out if he is Kinesthetic, tactile or an auditory learner. He doesn't like manipulatives, too much noise, doesn't like doing any school on the computer, he much rather have a workbook that he can carry. He does like me to read to him and sing (even though I can't carry a tune), the kid can talk up a storm.

Any thoughts? :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Homeschooling6

I'm not sure that he is an auditory learner. He doesn't like manipulatives at all. When we used MUS he never used the rods. I did try Right Start with him a few years back.

I did have him take an online Learning Style Assessment. My husband and I have noticed that Josh works best with structure and routine. This is something that the assessment pointed out too. He is structured by nature, have sequential, ordered components offer routine, drill, organization.

He prefers material with logical, sequential;uses workbooks, involves planning, scheduling and due dates.

His environment; quiet spaces, routine, organization atmosphere that is consistent, secure, ordered scheduled, planned time.

He needs things completed in and prepared in in certain order.

I think using workbooks with lots of drill is what works for him. Memorizing things to music.

Something like Saxon I think will work for him because it's very organized and orderly.

I still can't figure out if he is Kinesthetic, tactile or an auditory learner. He doesn't like manipulatives, too much noise, doesn't like doing any school on the computer, he much rather have a workbook that he can carry. He does like me to read to him and sing (even though I can't carry a tune), the kid can talk up a storm.

Any thoughts? :tongue_smilie:

He is probably a combo as most people are. Don't you have to teach Saxon? If you do then that would give him the audio part he seems to like, then he can go off on his own and get it done, in the structure and routine he likes. I don't see RS working for him with what you describe at all, or Horizons (or anything spiral). Honestly I am a lot like him and it took me a year to like RS, because of all the stuff and because I didn't get the sequence. Now I am fine with it because I came up with a way to deal with the stuff and I have done enough levels to see the structure, but the only way I kept going that first year is because I knew Pumpkin needed the hands on, and I could see it working.

Another auditory example with my Sweet Pea. I can't count the amount of times she has repeatedly gotten the same math problem wrong (generally story problems), and I have simply read it aloud to her, and she can suddenly do it. It is enough to drive me mad.

Josh is probably also partly visual (workbooks), but not strongly so if he doesn't like computer learning. It doesn't sound like he is naturally hands on at all. Some people will have more than the three divisions, including one that is called logical, and he very much fits that one.

All that to say it sounds like you are on the right track.

Heather