Menu

Finally have a school room - how to set it up?

With the flooring issue, we decided we wanted the bigger table in the kitchen to stay and the smaller table in the dining room for school. As such, the dining room now becomes the school room! There is a plant I need to keep in there and the china cabinet stays but other than that it's a school room. It's not big enough to think in terms of a bean bag chair or anything to snuggle up in and read. I also only have 2 walls to speak of - one is all windows and the other is the doorway into the living room. OH! and family pictures are all along one wall. But they are about a foot above the chair rail. But high enough that I can fit a bookcase under them.

Would it make sense for each child to have their own bookcase? There are several books that all three of them need. That would also mean buying 2 or 3 book cases. I figure I need to 1 bookcase anyway!

Maybe I need to just start moving things in there and see how it all looks when I'm done.

that way you can store supplies and books. Maybe put a timeline running across the wall? Globe on top of the bookcases? Or maybe dry eraser board instead of the timeline?

What kind of storage do you need (other than books:tongue_smilie:)? What are the dimensions of the room and the table? Is the room easily seen from the front door? Would you mind if it looked too much like a school room? Maybe, make it look more a library?

Sorry that I'm not much help. Just wishing we had room for a schoolroom. :001_smile:

We're slowly turning our dining room into a school room that we can still eat in. It is 11'x15' approx. along the 2 long walls we are building 9' long bookshelves from floor to ceiling with built in desktops that fold closed into the bookshelf. There is also one 3' on a short wall between the doorway and the washer. When it's finished, each of the kids will have their own desk and I will have one for my stuff. And best of all, the table still fits in the middle of the room, so we turn the chairs one way for school and back around for eating.