Menu

Learning Language arts through literature VS First Language lessons

Hi,

I really want to use LLATL with my son next year but when I read reviews on it they were all bad. Does anyone on here use it or used it in the past? What do you or did you think of it? Do you have to supplement it with more spelling and writing?

My second choice is the First language lessons... but this one doesn't seem to teach spelling and I really like the idea of LLATL.

Thanks

Micah

Guest aquiverfull

Have you ever looked at Character Quality Language Arts? It is similar to LLATL, but it's supposed to be a little meatier. The author modeled CQLA after LLATL along with IEW and some other programs. The writing instruction in CQLA's looks wonderful. It has copywork and dictation along with grammar and spelling. It also has the character study built in. It may be too old for your children though. I think the Pre-A level is meant for 2nd and 3rd graders. I plan to use Level A in the fall with my 11 year old. It's on sale for the rest of March. There are samples on the site. It may be what you are looking for, but I wasn't able to find a lot of reviews for it on here either.

I have used LLATL for quite a few years now, on and off, and you know what? I almost forgot that it had spelling. The spelling is so light, I’d hardly call that a spelling program. I do not test the children as they suggest in the early years with those words because I think that phonics is enough of a spelling program until around third grade. (As SWB says “phonics is spellingâ€) However, it does teach phonics very well and that is what is most important at a young age anyway. (that being said, I should mention that I do supplement the phonics, I have so many phonics resources-might as well use them) Which level are you considering? I only have experience with Blue, Red and Orange, we have the Yellow and Purple but we haven’t really used much of it.

I have used Blue for K for two little readers now. We also end up spreading LLATL Red out for two years, while filling it in with various other resources.

I also have experience with FLL. I used it with my oldest in K and part of first grade. I have used bits and pieces of FLL to supplement LLATL. The current FLL 1/2 is more of a complete grammar program with a little writing thrown in, while LLATL is more of a complete program all around, but on the light side. But light can be good if you are doing plenty of reading and other types of learning with living books.

If you are drawn to the program, why not try it out? Don’t let the bad reviews spoil it for you. Everyone is different. You can always flesh it out according to your child’s individual needs.

I have never read reviews on this! I have used it with all my kiddos. We start out with 100 EZ lessons for reading and when they are thru with that, we go right to the Red book in LLATL. My 6yr old is in the red book, my 8yr old is at the beginning of the orange book and my 9yr old is at the end of the orange book. We use Spelling Power for Spelling and will be adding PLL and ILL along side of LLATL this fall, we like it though!