Menu

Another childbirth question...

can you tell it's getting near for me. :) I had asked awhile back about anethesia options for delivery. I can't remember if I asked about using a local in the area before delivery. I know the dr. gives me a local before stitching me up afterward. So, I'm wondering if that would help take the edge off during the actual delivery. I have fast deliveries and do not have time for meds. It would be helpful just to be able to have something to help out in that intense moment. Just wondering if anyone has done that or knows about doing that.

That's actually an interesting question, imo, mostly because I can't find an answer online! Everything I come up with specifically refers to repairs.

I'm thinking there are one of two issues, if not both - swelling caused by injection, and the loss of sensation leading to tearing.

I mean, it just seems it would be an obvious routine choice if it were medically advisable, right?

Is this what you are thinking of:

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/pudendalblock.htm

But that intense moment is quite short and if you simply push through it, it will be over. Having a warm compress also helps some women. The baby's head helps numb that tissue naturally so if you are to tear or have an episiotomy done, the chances of you feeling it are very small.

It can also help pushing in a different position other than on your back but I know in the hospital that is near impossible.

I mean, it just seems it would be an obvious routine choice if it were medically advisable, right?

There are SO many things that are routine but not medically advisable when it comes to childbirth. ;)

They did with me, when I had dd, but she was my first and I was very young, they knew I would tear. Otherwise, I've never heard of anyone using it preventively. My nurse with ds the elder massaged me. Not the most comfortable thing, I didn't even know her name, but it definitely kept my mind off the pain :p With my youngest, labor and delivery went so fast there was no time for anything.

:grouphug:

It's so scary, but remember, when it's over it's over.