Menu

If you use ETC as a supplement, what is your main phonics program?

Right now my 5 year old is in ETC Book 1, and that's all we are doing for phonics. He does read a few of the Bob Books from time to time, but once he reads them once or twice, they are memorized, so I'm not sure how helpful they really are! I'm wondering if I should add a real phonics program or just have him keep working through ETC by itself (let me clarify, if we end up deciding to stick with R&S phonics for 1st grade, then I'll just have him do ETC for K so he gets some familiarity with sounding out words. But if I decide to switch gears altogether, then I want an actual program like OPGTR or Phonics Pathways, or something like that, which we would stick with until he is reading fluently). So, which phonics programs work well with ETC as a supplement? I need open-and-go as much as possible.

For K we used A Beka, but in 1st we have been using ETC with Phonics Pathways, and A Beka's "A Handbook for Reading." It was kind of hard to "line up" so I gave up after a while. We did book 1-3 first semester and I switched to Spelling Workout 2nd semester. DD is getting pretty proficient, so I think Spelling Workout is perfect for her.

With oldest, we used A Beka for K and switched to Rod and Staff. I chose not to use it with my youngest because I felt like it was overkill. It's a great program, but they learn every little dictionary symbol and are expected to memorize tons of rules. I liked that idea, but then I grew as frustrated as my dd. After a while I didn't make her memorize all that anymore and we abandoned it first semester, 2nd grade.

HTH!

Dorinda

ps Thought I should clarify, we tried matching ETC with PP and then took the opposite route. Whatever we were doing in ETC, we read out of A Beka's AHFR. That worked a little better, but not much. Like I said, after a while, I gave up. DD didn't really like PP, she prefers the color and glitz of A Beka, and since she was reading so well, I didn't feel like we needed to have a "formal" phonics program. Just something that would solidify the rules. :)

Edited by coffeefreak