Menu

CLE Math questions

MrsMe

We use CLE LA and Reading. LA program is such a good spiral program. There's a good deal of new concepts and review concepts without being in increments. My dd likes the LA because of the amount of the different and new concepts, , so I can't help but look at Math.

I wonder though if it's enough for kids to really do this independently as it shows. LA and Reading is pretty independent. There's not too much for the teacher (me) to do. But with math I wonder if CLE is really enough for the kids to be able to do this, as most of the learning and directions are in their light units.

Do the TM's give you help at all with concepts if the student doesn't understand? I looked at 4th level and I'm not sure I would get it, if the TM didn't give more help. I of course, am obviously not math oriented. :001_huh:

A few questions:

1)I have a concern whether the student can really do this as it shows.

2)Also, the lessons seem a bit long. Is the time to complete the entire lesson shorter because it teaches as it goes instead of being teacher driven?

3)I use BJU now. I teach for about 15-20 minutes then dd does the worksheet (front and back) completely on her own. So I wonder if the LU's are what dd & I can go through as teaching time, using the tests exactly as what they are. I don't use BJU tests, since dd does the worksheets on her own.

I suppose too I should see if dd is better at reading directions herself, than to be driven by the teacher. Kids are different. I'd rather be shown than to read through. She could be the opposite.

Those are valid questions. I have two kids in CLE Math and LA now. We are completing our second year with it. CLE Math breaks concepts down into such small bits in each lesson that my kids seem to get it. That being said, if you went to the 5th Light Unit and opened it to the 10th lesson, you might not get it because you hadn't read all the little explanatory bits that came before.

I would recommend just buying the first Light Unit for Math in the same level that you are in for LA and having your child do the first lesson or two. They are so inexpensive that it's not painful to do it. You may even want to buy a few different levels of '01 Light Units. The '01 Light Units are mostly reviews of the level before.

Regarding the length of the lessons, once I see that my child can do certain types of review problems well, I cross out the repetitive ones of that type. However, I do think that math is one of those subjects where the child just has to do the problems over and over before he/she can do the problem reliably on any type of test. I've seen my dd do a problem and get it right without much trouble, then crossed out that type of problem for the next few lessons. Then I've gotten an ugly surprise on the next quiz because she didn't remember how to do it, which meant she never really, really knew it...not enough repetition.

We've only used CLE 1st and 2nd grade math, but I'll tell you my experience with those. My dd (2nd grade) opens up her workbook and does the first several items with me listening (counting by ___ from ___ to ___, flashcard drill, etc). This takes maybe 5 minutes. Then she turns to her speed drill and I set the timer for her. When that's over (2 minutes), I check her answers and tell her how many she got right. She fills in the chart with how many she got right, and then she flips back to the lesson and does the rest completely on her own. It has all the instructions to the student, introducing new concepts and guiding them through practice problems. And of course there's lots of practice on previously-learned concepts. When she is done, I check all of her answers and have her correct any that are wrong. So, I spend 10 minutes at the most with dd on her math each day. It's similar for my 1st grader, except I do need to stay close by him and remind him to stay on task, plus there are a few more teacher-directed items at that level.

So far I have been extremely pleased with CLE math and I'm not planning on switching programs again! (We switched right after Christmas).

ETA: The lessons do seem long looking at them, but they really don't take as long as you'd think. I just read the previous poster's reply about crossing off some of the problems. I've never done that, and don't plan to; all that practice really seems to cement it for them. I figure math is one of those subjects that is worth spending some time on! When dd stays on task I think it only takes her about 30 minutes to do a lesson; that doesn't seem bad.

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

I have used from 106 thru 210 with my ds. We have the 300s I'm just taking a break from school while we get ready to move .. :glare:

To answer your questions :

1) Provided the child can and will read and follow directions then yes, it can be done nearly completely independently

2) Yes, there are whole pages in there for explaining and teaching new concepts. Also its laid out in a way so there is not a bunch all squished up and hard to read.

3) The tests (IMO) are really to test and see if they know the material. The teaching of each new concept/operation etc is right in the lightunit addressed to the student, so yes it teaches not you.

I was sick for a few days back not too long ago, and didn't get much checked much less taught. Well ds kept on going all on his own and didn't miss any lessons. More often then not when he does miss something or say he needs help its only because he didn't read/follow the directions well enough.

You can look at a sample lesson from each lightunit on the website.

However if you are serious about using CLE you should download the diagnostic/placement test and have your child do that to determine what level to start at. CLE introduces a lot of concepts earlier then most other curriculum's so using the test will make sure you place him where he needs to be.

HTH,

I agree. First off have your child take the diagnostic tests before placing them.

My oldest who was 11 last year did the 400 series. The instructions were plenty for her. Everyonce in a while she may of asked for help but it wasn't to often.

Everything is taught in such bite sized pieces that it all leads up to the whole.

I never crossed off problems because I agree doing all of it cements it into their little heads. What I did was break up the lessons though. I had my daughter do part of a lesson one day and complete the second half the next day. At least that is what we did in the beginning because all of the work seemed very daunting to her after using BJU and a few other programs that only gave them a few problems per page to work on. So my suggestion is to say , the first day, have them do ten problems. Then the next 10 more and each week work your way up until they start doing a full lesson on their own. Doing it that way seemed to work well for my daughter. That's one thing about the beauty of homeschooling is you can fit it and taylor it to your needs. There isn't a lesson police out there that says you MUST do a full lesson everyday.

The tests do test them on the concepts learned in the Light Units and also in the Teacher Manual they have Alternate Light Unit tests just in case they missed learning some concepts. The teacher manuals do help but really by the 400 level you really don't need them because the lessons are really well explained enough that YOU should be able to understand it should they not.

1) Provided the child can and will read and follow directions then yes, it can be done nearly completely independently

2) Yes, there are whole pages in there for explaining and teaching new concepts. Also its laid out in a way so there is not a bunch all squished up and hard to read.............

I was sick for a few days back not too long ago, and didn't get much checked much less taught. Well ds kept on going all on his own and didn't miss any lessons. More often then not when he does miss something or say he needs help its only because he didn't read/follow the directions well enough.

.............However if you are serious about using CLE you should download the diagnostic/placement test and have your child do that to determine what level to start at. CLE introduces a lot of concepts earlier then most other curriculum's so using the test will make sure you place him where he needs to be.

We have worked through lightunits 101-110, 501-505, and 601-604. Dot is currently in 201, Wacko is getting ready to start 506. Yacko is halfway through 604.

Typically, the boys do their lessons completely independently. Dot does most of her lesson on her own, if she struggles it's because she didn't actually read the instructions. On a day when we do an entire lesson and she doesn't dawdle, it takes her about 30 minutes. We also use CLE for LA, reading and science; she does all three of those in about 90 minutes. We do NOT usually do all the exercises. For a child who really understands math, the extra drill can be counter-productive, so don't get caught up in the idea that your child MUST do every problem. The first grade math would have as many as 30 basic addition and subtraction problems per lesson, NOT including the more difficult multiple-addend, word and multiple-digit ones or the flash cards & speed drills. That's a LOT for a young child, especially a bright or gifted one. I have the kids do the sections they struggle with. If they show mastery of a concept, I review it occasionally, but don't make them do every single one.

My son should be able to finish a Math lesson in 30 minutes. He should be able to work independently one we go over the new topic. I say should because he can stretch 30 minutes of work into 90 minutes if not constantly monitored and redirected. He's very good at Math but it doesn't hold his focus.

We also use CLE LA (1-2 lessons/day) along with their penmanship (1-2 lessons) which, again, he should be able to do independently once we go over the new info and in about 30 mins but..... this is not my lot in life.

CLE Science and Social Studies (when we use them) DS has been able to do independently because those topics interest him.

HTH

My dd, 10, is currently on 508...LU test tomorrow.

When we started I had to sit with her and help talk her through the lessons. I also had to break up the lessons and help her work up to doing it all at once. I put her in 500 after she finished up 4th grade Abeka at a private school last year and it was quite a jump for her. Now, after several months she is doing the lessons quite easily. When she doesn't get distracted she finishes the lessons in less than 30 minutes. When she is stretching it out and it feels too long I let her take a break and she finishes it up at the end of the day.

She is scoring very high on the tests and is retaining everything just fine. I check her work daily and discuss any missed answers with her which we then do together. Her confidence in math has grown considerably.