Menu

TOG users-if you don't use MapAids, what do you use for maps?

HappyGrace

So the MapAids would maybe good? Are they complicated?

I'd kind of like it all thought out for me, with the maps all prepped for each lesson, but I'm already overwhelmed enough with my first shot at TOG, so I don't want to add the MapAids if it isn't just simple pick it up and go.

We're looking at doing Ancients next yr but with a 10yo and 7 yo, so I think the MapAids would be too much. What do you all use instead?

I have tried twice to get away without using the Map Aids and always end up buying them in the end.

It isn't just for the maps, but TOG often suggests mapping more obscure places, or places that have changed names through history, and it is hard to find under the older names. The Map Aids have answer keys, so if my kiddos have tried to find the answer in the atlas I allow them to pull the answer key and work off of it.

Heather

Thanks, Heather-have you ever looked at the maps that Lucidity linked? They are also Knowledge Quest and look like they could be used with TOG really easily-look really great (thanks, Lucidity!) Just wondered if you had looked at them and ruled them out for some reason.

Thanks, Heather-have you ever looked at the maps that Lucidity linked? They are also Knowledge Quest and look like they could be used with TOG really easily-look really great (thanks, Lucidity!) Just wondered if you had looked at them and ruled them out for some reason.

I use the map answer keys often enough that I ruled all else out just because they don't have the answers. :D

Heather

These MapTrek maps do have a teacher's map with all the answers on them. However, I think Siloam means they don't have the TOG exact answers on them. Though so far, they've worked well for me and I like some of the maps from MapTrek better than the MapAids maps. I've only looked at them for TOG Year 2 Unit 4.

Cynthia - Keep me posted on how those Map trek maps are working out. I'm staying with homeschool in the woods for now, since we are basically doing the 13 colonies. I was planning on getting Map Aids this summer for Y3. I like the look and price of Map Trek better! :001_smile:

I have the HomeSchoolintheWoods ones too (yes, junkie here). :) I like them too and we are using the state sheets to make a State Notebook as each state enters. I just didn't care for the world maps for what's needed in TOG. The MapTrek ones work so much better. Though, as I said, I have MapAids too so I can pick and choose. I just like the color and look of the MapTrek ones and many times they are the exact same map that is in MapAids.

Good luck,

I have the HomeSchoolintheWoods ones too (yes, junkie here). :) I like them too and we are using the state sheets to make a State Notebook as each state enters. I just didn't care for the world maps for what's needed in TOG. The MapTrek ones work so much better. Though, as I said, I have MapAids too so I can pick and choose. I just like the color and look of the MapTrek ones and many times they are the exact same map that is in MapAids.

Good luck,

I do like the look of them, and the cost is nicer. One of my frustrations with Map Aids is that TOG will use different names than Knowledge Quest. If I look it up online I can usually quickly figure out that they are the same place, but I don't want to have to stop everything to look it up online.

The other issue is printing cost, because it is $50 just to buy ink for my color printer and it doesn't last long. My B&W printer goes at least a year one one cartridge, and then is only a little more (around $70) to replace.

Long term I want to do the Overlay maps with the kids are older (those are just too cool!) but with younger kids these would be more engaging and wouldn't have the name difference issues (which older kids could probably simply figure out by saving it till last and seeing what is left over, but younger kids can't do that).

Though now I own all 4 years of MapAids, so it is really hard to justify spending more. :D

Heather

Long term I want to do the Overlay maps with the kids are older (those are just too cool!) but with younger kids these would be more engaging and wouldn't have the name difference issues (which older kids could probably simply figure out by saving it till last and seeing what is left over, but younger kids can't do that).

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do the overlay maps. Perhaps I haven't read closely enough. I've only just started TOG so my mind has been on other parts of it, but I do want to work those in as they look cool.

The MapTrek maps definitely have more color. So if that's an issue for anyone, definitely don't use them.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do the overlay maps. Perhaps I haven't read closely enough. I've only just started TOG so my mind has been on other parts of it, but I do want to work those in as they look cool.

The MapTrek maps definitely have more color. So if that's an issue for anyone, definitely don't use them.

I haven't really either, but I think you print off the base maps on card stock, label the more generic places (oceans, continents) and then you print the rest of the maps on overlays, put it over the base and label them with the more specific information for the week.

Heather