Menu

Kindergtn. math...

stephanie

DD 6 started out this school year with Saxon K, but I thought it was a little too easy for her so I started combining it with Saxon 1. She can understand most of the concepts, but has just now started to slow down a bit in her comprehension. I was wondering if it would be safe to mainly work on skip counting,time, money,concepts of add/sub. informally instead of doing the workbook? I was thinking about focusing on her add/sub facts since she seems to be learning them so easily now. I've always been a 'by the book' kind of girl so this would be stretching it for me. So what do ya think? Will she be ok to pick up in the middle of a 1st grade curriculum next year if I just toss the workbook out? She can tell time to the hour, identify her coins and count some of them, days of the weeks/months, and she knows her numbers. She also knows her doubles facts, +1, -1,+0, and -0. Thanks!

This is exactly the kind of approach laid out in Ruth Beechick's An Easy Start In Arithmetic for Grades K-3. She says that home is the best environment to learn real-life arithmetic and doesn't suggest any type of workbook approach through 3rd grade. She gives you mastery goals for each grade, and many of her activities are game-based.

This is exactly the kind of approach laid out in Ruth Beechick's An Easy Start In Arithmetic for Grades K-3. She says that home is the best environment to learn real-life arithmetic and doesn't suggest any type of workbook approach through 3rd grade. She gives you mastery goals for each grade, and many of her activities are game-based.

Beth, is there a site online where I can see those goals for each grade? I'd love to check it out. I've been working on integrating a more CM approach to our schooling as well. Thanks

Beth, is there a site online where I can see those goals for each grade? I'd love to check it out. I've been working on integrating a more CM approach to our schooling as well. Thanks

If you join the Basically Beechick yahoo group they are outlined in the files section. I really would recommend reading the book if that's what you intend to do. Maybe your library has it? It's a very good read! :001_smile:

This is what I intend to do with my youngest for her K year. If this goes well, then I will do math without a curriculum for the next year as well and just play it by year. I feel that I have more confidence doing more of a living math approach now that I have done K math twice.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

I'm going to also recommend Ruth Beechick's "An Easy Start to Arithmetic". I got it in a set of three (Arithmetic, Language, Reading) and just finished the Arithmetic tonight. Every thing she says makes perfect sense. The "scope and sequence" does not begin until 1st grade. For K she just recommends living math (how many people are at the table, grocery store games, cooking, etc).

If you can find this at your library, I think you would gain a lot from it, I know I did!

DD 6 started out this school year with Saxon K, but I thought it was a little too easy for her so I started combining it with Saxon 1. She can understand most of the concepts, but has just now started to slow down a bit in her comprehension. I was wondering if it would be safe to mainly work on skip counting,time, money,concepts of add/sub. informally instead of doing the workbook? I was thinking about focusing on her add/sub facts since she seems to be learning them so easily now. I've always been a 'by the book' kind of girl so this would be stretching it for me. So what do ya think? Will she be ok to pick up in the middle of a 1st grade curriculum next year if I just toss the workbook out? She can tell time to the hour, identify her coins and count some of them, days of the weeks/months, and she knows her numbers. She also knows her doubles facts, +1, -1,+0, and -0. Thanks!

This is the approach I took when dd was in K'er. We went quickly thru Saxon K - I combined and/or skipped the lessons where all they did was "play' with the manipulatives. Then I did just the lesson and meeting materials in Saxon 1 - no workbook pages or fact sheets. I took a look at the placement tests and made sure we added in some money and telling time.

When she started first grade - we started right with Saxon 2 and she tested out most of the beginning of the book. We started by doing only assessments (written and oral) but I also did a little meeting time each week and fact sheets daily. I wanted to make sure that new stuff in the meeting time was introduced and practiced if need be during all those lessons we skipped.

Anyway - she was more than ready for Saxon 2, after going thri Saxon K and 1 at a very relaxed pace with no written work.