Menu

Help me plan math for next year

JeanM

I love to plan, but this spring I haven't been able to make any decisions because our home situation is unstable. DH is currently unemployed and looking for a job. We may be moving, I may have to find full time work (I'm tutoring part-time now). Anyway, I can't actually spend any money on curriculum right now, so I'm just having fun with planning and hoping we'll have money by the fall. It is possible the dc will have to go to ps in the fall if we can't improve our financial situation.

My biggest dilemma is with ds who just turned 11. He is most of the way through Life of Fred Beginning Algebra. He is quite good at math, but has always disliked math. I was really hoping that once he got to algebra he would start to like it more, but if anything he likes it less. He does like the story part of Life of Fred. I'm supplementing Fred with Dolciani Algebra (1975) and with stuff I've made up for him myself.

Before this year, he had really been looking forward to geometry, mostly because a family friend had told him about proofs and he thought it sounded interesting. We've done a few proofs in algebra, and he has lost his desire to learn geometry.

I feel that it is important that he keep learning math and that it should be reasonably challenging. On the other hand, if he really doesn't like math, maybe we don't need to push it too much. If it helps, he wants to be a veterinarian, or possibly a marine biologist. DH and I both like math and maybe ds will change his mind.

Option 1 is to stick with Life of Fred:

Grade 6: Advanced Algebra

Grade 7: Geometry

Grade 8: Trigonometry

Grade 9: Calculus

Grade 10: Statistics

Option 2 is to branch out, and hopefully pique his interest

Grade 6: Art of Problem Solving "Intro to Counting and Probability" of "Intro to number theory"

Grade 7: Life of Fred Advanced Algebra

Grade 8: Another Art of Problem Solving

Grade 9: Geometry

Grade 10: Trigonometry

Grade 11: Calculus

Any ideas or suggestions? We've done other supplemental stuff already like "Challenge Math".

Jean

Dd did Geometry with Life of Fred, and we supplemented with Dressler 1973 Geometry & another we bought from AMS. However, you don't have to di Geometry now, so I'd personally wait on the Geometry for now. There are many great things you can do with math, and the AMS (American Mathematical Society) has a section with math books for kids advanced in math. You'll have to check to see how much math one needs to know, but one idea is Mathematical Circles. When I was in a similar situation, with an 11 yo ready for Algebra mathematically, but not mature enough, Myrtle (great math guru no longer posting) suggested this as one possibility. It's challenging enough even for someone with algebra 1.

The ability to write proofs develops independent of IQ and even Algebra skills. I think it needs to be done, but you have time to wait at this point, unless you're trying to graduate very young.

Same with Calculus. I'd put it later. You may wish to check with Jann in TX, who is profoundly gifted and is a math teacher. She pointed out once that she didn't understand what she was doing with proofs until she started teaching Geometry. She also has mentioned that it's very good to do Algebra 1 twice, and that only ten percent of students are ready for Calculus in grade 12 (senior). That's not saying no one is ready for Calculus in grade 9, of course, but it can wait until grade 11, IMO. I'd do Algebra 1 again with something else or else do Advanced Algebra & Trig with LoF, and then Dolciani II.

My kids also enjoyed reading Murderous Maths just for fun.

Finally, my eldest hated math at 11, when she started Algebra. She no longer hates it, and sometimes says she might major in it (she's 14.) It's too soon to say, and I wouldn't rush if you don't need to and he doesn't want to, but find some fun math like Mathematical Circles. I chose a book from Perpendicular Press, which my dd really enjoyed, but it has a lot of pre-Algebra in it, so even though there are some challenging things in it, much of that book would seem too easy for your ds.

I know of at least two profoundly gifted kids who weren't ready for algebra at 11. We discuss this often. :) My DD will be "ready" for algebra at 10. Ready as in done up until then but I'm not sure if she's actually ready. I talked with Jann by email and I am in a holding pattern with other materials until fall, when I will have her test my DD for proper placement. I will probably have her take Algebra twice, the second time being with AoP, or if she really has it down then one of their other programs. There are tons of materials to use in the mean time to expand math. We've already spent one year just "playing around" and using different programs to make sure her skills are really cemented. I don't regret that time, we have seven years to fill before I graduate her. :lol:

I know of at least two profoundly gifted kids who weren't ready for algebra at 11. We discuss this often. :) My DD will be "ready" for algebra at 10. Ready as in done up until then but I'm not sure if she's actually ready. I talked with Jann by email and I am in a holding pattern with other materials until fall, when I will have her test my DD for proper placement. I will probably have her take Algebra twice, the second time being with AoP, or if she really has it down then one of their other programs. There are tons of materials to use in the mean time to expand math. We've already spent one year just "playing around" and using different programs to make sure her skills are really cemented. I don't regret that time, we have seven years to fill before I graduate her. :lol:

Good luck with your dd. I'm now thinking about doing Algebra twice too. Although I really think ds was ready this year. He is doing fine with algebra, he totally understands the concepts and can do the problems. He just doesn't like it. I really like the look of the AoP stuff.

Dd did Geometry with Life of Fred, and we supplemented with Dressler 1973 Geometry & another we bought from AMS. However, you don't have to di Geometry now, so I'd personally wait on the Geometry for now. There are many great things you can do with math, and the AMS (American Mathematical Society) has a section with math books for kids advanced in math. You'll have to check to see how much math one needs to know, but one idea is Mathematical Circles. When I was in a similar situation, with an 11 yo ready for Algebra mathematically, but not mature enough, Myrtle (great math guru no longer posting) suggested this as one possibility. It's challenging enough even for someone with algebra 1.

The ability to write proofs develops independent of IQ and even Algebra skills. I think it needs to be done, but you have time to wait at this point, unless you're trying to graduate very young.

Same with Calculus. I'd put it later. You may wish to check with Jann in TX, who is profoundly gifted and is a math teacher. She pointed out once that she didn't understand what she was doing with proofs until she started teaching Geometry. She also has mentioned that it's very good to do Algebra 1 twice, and that only ten percent of students are ready for Calculus in grade 12 (senior). That's not saying no one is ready for Calculus in grade 9, of course, but it can wait until grade 11, IMO. I'd do Algebra 1 again with something else or else do Advanced Algebra & Trig with LoF, and then Dolciani II.

My kids also enjoyed reading Murderous Maths just for fun.

Finally, my eldest hated math at 11, when she started Algebra. She no longer hates it, and sometimes says she might major in it (she's 14.) It's too soon to say, and I wouldn't rush if you don't need to and he doesn't want to, but find some fun math like Mathematical Circles. I chose a book from Perpendicular Press, which my dd really enjoyed, but it has a lot of pre-Algebra in it, so even though there are some challenging things in it, much of that book would seem too easy for your ds.

I'm encouraged by the fact that your eldest used to hate math, but has changed her mind.

I like the idea of doing more Algebra. Maybe next year we can do some kind of combination. I think ds just wants to get it over with and do the minimal amount of math required.

I'll have to look at the books at Perpendicular press. Like I said, I can't buy anything now, but I can have fun looking.

Jean

Would he be more interested in some basic geometry? I know of a few people who used the Key to Geometry books alongside or after Algebra I before doing a full Geometry or a second round of Algebra, since it doesn't contain proofs if I am remembering correctly.

If he's getting it, and the math isn't the concern then it a matter of deciding if he should just do what he needs to sequence wise at a level that challenges him, or if he would benefit from something of the grid for a little while until he sees the need for the math. :tongue_smilie: Have you checked out the Davidson Forum? There are some good suggestions for off the grid math for kids that get it. :)

Would he be more interested in some basic geometry? I know of a few people who used the Key to Geometry books alongside or after Algebra I before doing a full Geometry or a second round of Algebra, since it doesn't contain proofs if I am remembering correctly.

If he's getting it, and the math isn't the concern then it a matter of deciding if he should just do what he needs to sequence wise at a level that challenges him, or if he would benefit from something of the grid for a little while until he sees the need for the math. :tongue_smilie: Have you checked out the Davidson Forum? There are some good suggestions for off the grid math for kids that get it. :)

It doesn't look like the public can access the Davidson Forum, and we haven't had the right tests done to get ds qualified for Davidson.

I'll have to talk to ds about doing a basic geometry (non-proof) next year. Maybe that circle thing would be good too. I like the concept of giving him something off the grid for a while until he sees the need for the math, but I'm not sure he is going to like that.

Jean