Menu

Those with short term hs plans

workingmom

What started out as just one year of hs (1st grade) is now a second year and again while I thought to put ds back for 4th next year he wants to hs another year. I admit, I'm secretly very pleased that he enjoys hs so much yet really was thinking initially of just getting him at his level (we did 1st and 2nd in a year) and getting him to be responsible for his work and work well independently.

For those of you who had short term plans of homeschooling how did you agree to keep going or when did you decide to put them back. My only real subject that I see a benefit of a school setting (in terms of multiple students) is language arts specifically literature and writing. I always thought these subjects benefit from listening to others summaries and critiques. As well as kids get more ideas for creative writing listening to what others are thinking.

All the other classes I really feel better done independently or with field trips etc.

I'd like to hear your experiences.

I pulled my son out at the end of 2nd grade because he was so "far behind" and there was no way he could catch up with their interventions. My initial goal was to see how far I could get him caught up over the spring & summer and reevaluate then. Well at that point it was clear he needed to stay home at least another year, and we are finishing up that 3rd grade year. He's doing pretty well and I no longer feel that I have to homeschool him, but honestly we both love it. I do really like our local PS, and he has friends there and would probably do very well socially. I just worry that a) in a large class he will get completely overlooked and not learn, and b) the areas that he's ahead in won't be acknowledged and he will have to repeat content and not be challenged.

At this point I know his learning style, I know which programs will work best for him for LA and math, and I'm excited to give him WAY more history and science then he would ever get in school. I am going to try to teach him recorder, so if he does go back to school at some point he will be caught up there. Unless I have to go back to work though, the new plan is to homeschool for at least 4th and 5th grade and then reevaluate entering middle school (ugh).

My only real subject that I see a benefit of a school setting (in terms of multiple students) is language arts specifically literature and writing. I always thought these subjects benefit from listening to others summaries and critiques. As well as kids get more ideas for creative writing listening to what others are thinking.

All the other classes I really feel better done independently or with field trips etc.

I'd like to hear your experiences.

There are tons of opportunities to outsource classes you would like them to take in a group setting. You could do a co-op one day a week or pay for an enrichment class. You could even put together a class yourself and offer it to students in your homeschool group or other homeschoolers (are you friends with another family who homeschools by any chance?). I've also heard of online classes with writing (doesn't Potter's School have one?). Not every class has to be taught by you and you shouldn't have to send them back to public school just so they can get critiqued by other students.

Just FYI, if you have Classical Conversations group in your area, you can check to see if they offer a separate IEW class. I know someone who doesn't do CC, but has her son in IEW through the CC campus (it meets on a different day than the CC classes).

:iagree: Your kid will learn a lot in Classical Conversations.

Also, your first year of homeschooling is supposed to be the absolute worst. The second year is supposed to be a lot better.

We've been homeschooling for about a year now and...while it's been a mess...my son jumped two grade levels in reading and my daughter is to the point where she could skip 3rd grade this fall.

I'm just saying...you're probably doing a better job than you think if he's jumping grade levels and gaining independence/responsiblity in his schoolwork.

I doubt myself all the time until I look closely at what they're doing.

And, heck, we're starting Latin this fall!! :party:

We started out with the mindset that we'd do one year at a time, and eventually we'd put ds in school. It's such a wonderful lifestyle that I have no desire to go the brick & mortar school route anymore, and neither does dh. We'll be taking this journey to the end at this point!